cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Trees close to the house? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20853)

SeattleUte 07-11-2008 09:29 PM

Trees close to the house?

Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

creekster 07-11-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241244)
Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

Is this a real question?

il Padrino Ute 07-11-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241244)

Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 241248)
Is this a real question?

Yes.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 241252)
Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.

Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.

il Padrino Ute 07-12-2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241394)
Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.

It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 241405)
It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.

il Padrino Ute 07-12-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 241414)
I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.

I doubt it. My parents have several birch close to their home and there has been no root problems.

The one to watch is the blasted Silver Maple. It will root into your sewer line and wreak havoc like nothing else.

landpoke 07-12-2008 05:15 AM

You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.

SeattleUte 07-12-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 241418)
You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the best scary movie ever (the original, not the remake).