cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The infamous Seventh East Press interview with Sterling McMurrin (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15008)

tooblue 12-14-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 163600)
Look, I'm not asking for a deep mysterious doctrine to be taught. I'm not asking for the heavens to be opened. I'm not asking for a new Pentecost.

I'm only asking for an explanation of why an entire race was denied eternal blessings.

Do you really want an answer, or do you want someone to attempt to answer the question? It sounds more like you want someone to pay you some attention.

I'm only asking for members to move on!

MikeWaters 12-15-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 163603)
Do you really want an answer, or do you want someone to attempt to answer the question? It sounds more like you want someone to pay you some attention.

I'm only asking for members to move on!

Move on from what? A politician's answer ("That's past us")?

tooblue 12-15-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 163604)
Move on from what? A politician's answer ("That's past us")?

And what of church history since the reversal ... how long has it been? What aspects of church history is most relevant to your children? What is the point of your question -what is your motive?

MikeWaters 12-15-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 163605)
And what of church history since the reversal ... how long has it been? What aspects of church history is most relevant to your children? What is the point of your question -what is your motive?

My motive is so that when your kids ask you why it was, you don't have to make something up ("probably for the same reason non-Levites were denied"), or have to tell them "We don't know, it's never been told to us".

tooblue 12-15-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 163598)
Sounds like rationalization at best ;)

Sounds like he is convinced he is smarter than the average person, that the church and the general body is out of touch -out of reach even ... that he 'deserves' or is owed something more.

tooblue 12-15-2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 163606)
My motive is so that when your kids ask you why it was, you don't have to make something up ("probably for the same reason non-Levites were denied"), or have to tell them "We don't know, it's never been told to us".

Why would you make something up? Why would you say it's never been told to us? Is that how you answer when asked about faith? Who is responsible for your answers.

Why would you not use it as a learning and teaching opportunity? Why would you not ask; well, since the reversal how has the church acted, how have times changed? Is the issue a stumbling block or an opportunity?

UtahDan 12-15-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 163595)
I read most of it. I htink that if push came to shove and SU was forced to bare his soul about the Church (as opposed to the muck-stirring he enjoys so much here and on CB) he would give answers not too far from what SM gave in this interview.

So SU is the McMurrin of CG. Tex is Joseph F. Smith.

We know that David O. McKay was equally defensive of each of them when they came under attack. So who is the David O. McKay of CG? You creek?

MikeWaters 12-15-2007 04:28 AM

The death knell was when they hired a candy bar salesman who didn't have the sense to not copy and paste his addresses to the university.

The death knell came when BYU decided to take a moral stand. Against the sculpture "The Kiss."

I really have no sense of what the future holds for BYU. And that's why my discretionary funds don't go to support it. They don't need my money to do more of the same.

creekster 12-15-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 163616)
So SU is the McMurrin of CG. Tex is Joseph F. Smith.

We know that David O. McKay was equally defensive of each of them when they came under attack. So who is the David O. McKay of CG? You creek?

Not me. I wish I was such a good person.