cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3:10 to Yuma? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11908)

SeattleUte 09-18-2007 08:19 PM

3:10 to Yuma?

A guy whose taste I trust told me this past week that 3:10 to Yuma is "terrible," despite all the favorable reviews. I'm shaken, hugely disappointed. No one here has seen it? Can some one preview it for us?

MikeWaters 09-18-2007 08:24 PM

It's definitely not terrible.

SeattleUte 09-18-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 125130)
It's definitely not terrible.

Can you recommend it?

MikeWaters 09-18-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 125131)
Can you recommend it?

yes. I give it an A-. Not everyone will like it.

Go in with low expectations. It's not a perfect film, but I liked it for reasons I have outlined in my semi-spoiler thread.

SteelBlue 09-18-2007 09:15 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but try and name a bad Russell Crowe movie. Based on his presence alone, I'd bet it's a decent movie.

MikeWaters 09-18-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 125143)
I haven't seen it yet, but try and name a bad Russell Crowe movie. Based on his presence alone, I'd bet it's a decent movie.

I can see some folks not really liking it.

Imagine if unforgiven didn't have the last massacre scene (that really hearkens back to western stereotypes, whereas most of the rest of the movie broke them). Would it be as popular as it was? I'm guessing not.

SeattleUte 09-18-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 125145)
I can see some folks not really liking it.

Imagine if unforgiven didn't have the last massacre scene (that really hearkens back to western stereotypes, whereas most of the rest of the movie broke them). Would it be as popular as it was? I'm guessing not.

I didn't like Unforgiven because I thought the main characters' changes in character were too abrupt and unconvincing, and then after pretending to be this anti-violence polemic the film reverts to retro Eastwood in the last scene. It was bullshit. I have no problem with violence in movies if not gratuitous. I love virtually all of Eastwood's old stuff. What I don't like is a bad movie and/or hypocrisy. But most movies that win best picture suck, don't they.

MikeWaters 09-18-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 125151)
I didn't like Unforgiven because I thought the main characters' changes in character were too abrupt and unconvincing, and then after pretending to be this anti-violence polemic the film reverts to retro Eastwood in the last scene. It was bullshit. I have no problem with violence in movies if not gratuitous. I love virtually all of Eastwood's old stuff. What I don't like is a bad movie and/or hypocrisy. But most movies that win best picture suck, don't they.

Christian Bale is not the most emotive actor in the world. So he may or may not work as a protagonist for some people. Unforgiven lacks enough humanity to make it very engaging (exactly the opposite of Lonesome Dove).

MikeWaters 09-18-2007 09:35 PM

also, if you want more westerns to ever be made, go see this film, even if it isn't perfect.

UtahDan 09-18-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 125151)

I'm surprised you felt that way about it. I thought that it was all about Money's (sp?) struggle, and ultimately his failure, to be something other than he was: a killer. A reluctant anti-hero. The movie worked for me.