cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OH, by the way the Fed dropped rates 1/2% (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11903)

BYU71 09-18-2007 06:29 PM

OH, by the way the Fed dropped rates 1/2%

Just in case you missed it.

Indy Coug 09-18-2007 06:37 PM

Is this really a wise move by the Fed?

BYU71 09-18-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 125058)
Is this really a wise move by the Fed?

I don't know what they know or what they are trying to accomplish. We have this initial run up in the market, but I am wondering why interest rates are rising on the 10 year treasury.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't have cut so much. If we have a couple of hic cups in the next few weeks, IMHO we will slide right back down a few hundred points and people will claim the fed doesn't have any ammo left.

Again I am not saying anyone else should do this, but I am going to stay 50% in cash until we get into October.

FMCoug 09-18-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 125062)
Personally, I wish they wouldn't have cut so much. If we have a couple of hic cups in the next few weeks, IMHO we will slide right back down a few hundred points and people will claim the fed doesn't have any ammo left.

You could be right. But I just made a killing on EUR/USD. ;)

Is that unpatriotic of me?

jay santos 09-18-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 125062)
I don't know what they know or what they are trying to accomplish. We have this initial run up in the market, but I am wondering why interest rates are rising on the 10 year treasury.

Again I am not saying anyone else should do this, but I am going to stay 50% in cash until we get into October.

And he says he's not a market timer...

jay santos 09-18-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 125080)
You could be right. But I just made a killing on EUR/USD. ;)

Is that unpatriotic of me?

No, just lucky. :)

FMCoug 09-18-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 125082)

True. At leat I admit what I am. A money-grubbing short-term trader.

:)

BYU71 09-18-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 125082)

A market timer as I define one would be either all in or all out. They would also be moving money around a lot more often than every few months. I backed off in April. I am not bragging.

Look at the ups and downs during the summer. A market timer calling things correctly could have made a fortune. However, there are no such things. Market timers (traders) that call things correctly, consistently.

FMCoug 09-18-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 125084)
No, just lucky. :)

Pretty easy to make money on currency on big news like that. Just place a buy just above market and a sell just below market and if there is a big move ... cha ching. With a move like this one ... it was a no-brainer.

jay santos 09-18-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 125114)
Pretty easy to make money on currency on big news like that. Just place a buy just above market and a sell just below market and if there is a big move ... cha ching. With a move like this one ... it was a no-brainer.

Wrong. But I'm glad it's working for you.