cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Iraq this month (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21342)

8ballrollin 07-30-2008 10:01 PM

Iraq this month

I realize causality numbers represent real people, fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. But I think it's worth reporting, and I hope it is reported in the MSM tomorrow, that there will most likely be fewer than 15 US fatalities in Iraq this month - the lowest count of any month during the entire war. I state this with the obvious caveats that five, let alone 15, may be too many, but I see this as good news nonetheless.

http://icasualties.org/oif/USByYear.aspx

Indy Coug 07-30-2008 10:13 PM

What would be instructive is the number of casualties as the result of hostile action, as opposed to plane and car crashes and so forth.

Nevertheless, it's a good stat because it means that hostilities are diminishing and that the Iraqis are taking on more of the security responsibility. The end is in sight, even if it isn't tomorrow.

il Padrino Ute 07-30-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 249030)
I realize causality numbers represent real people, fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. But I think it's worth reporting, and I hope it is reported in the MSM tomorrow, that there will most likely be fewer than 15 US fatalities in Iraq this month - the lowest count of any month during the entire war. I state this with the obvious caveats that five, let alone 15, may be too many, but I see this as good news nonetheless.

http://icasualties.org/oif/USByYear.aspx

Why would Obama's cheerleaders report anything that could be considered good news in Iraq?

Runner Coug 07-30-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 249039)
Why would Obama's cheerleaders report anything that could be considered good news in Iraq?

It's definitely a good sign, and the press should do their job and report it as such. 8ball already expressed the obvious that the ones who were killed are not just stats, but real people, and I agree wholeheartedly.

But from the perspective of a wife or parent, how gut wrenching would it be to turn on the news and hear "Good news from Iraq, only 12 killed this month"!

Indy Coug 07-30-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 249049)
It's definitely a good sign, and the press should do their job and report it as such. 8ball already expressed the obvious that the ones who were killed are not just stats, but real people, and I agree wholeheartedly.

But from the perspective of a wife or parent, how gut wrenching would it be to turn on the news and hear "Good news from Iraq, only 12 killed this month"!

Because the good news is that it wasn't more than 12 and because fewer wives and parents are being gutwrenched this month than in the preceding 60 months.

Runner Coug 07-30-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 249052)
Because the good news is that it wasn't more than 12 and because fewer wives and parents are being gutwrenched this month than in the preceding 60 months.

I know, I get that. I couldn't agree more. But for the mothers of the 12, the good news is the worst news of their lives. I'm just struck by the irony, I guess.

I don't disagree with anything said. It's a good sign and looks like things are looking up.

Flystripper 07-30-2008 11:16 PM

it's not popular to report bad news as good news even if bad news is good news. so to speak...

8ballrollin 07-31-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 249057)
it's not popular to report bad news as good news even if bad news is good news. so to speak...

It's not popular to report stories which cut against the grain of established narratives –"Iraq in chaos", "pit bulls eat children", "Nobel Peace Prize relevant", etc. Once a media narrative has been set, it takes a lot of momentum to move it; no matter the facts.

il Padrino Ute 07-31-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 249049)

I agree that for the families of those killed, it is awful news. I'm just saying that the Obama honks in the mainstream media won't report anything that may make their Messiah look like his surrender policy might be wrong.

BarbaraGordon 07-31-2008 02:09 AM

My friend in Mosul lost four guys in his group this month. Roadside bomb.