cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Time's Person of the Year (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24457)

PaloAltoCougar 11-06-2008 02:40 PM

Time's Person of the Year

The end of the year brings speculation as to whom Time will pick as it's Person of the Year, although I remember with a nostalgic tear with it was Man of the Year. Often it's very difficult to guess, but I can't think of a year when it's been easier. The part I like about the process is that every year, Time has to explain patiently that the nominee is the person who, for better or worse, has done more to influence the news. Still, that will do nothing to dispel the inevitable criticisms that the selection of Barack Obama is further evidence of the librull media.

Runners up may include Paulson, Bernanke and MikeWaters, but I can't imagine anyone coming close to the President-elect.

TripletDaddy 11-06-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 291051)
The end of the year brings speculation as to whom Time will pick as it's Person of the Year, although I remember with a nostalgic tear with it was Man of the Year. Often it's very difficult to guess, but I can't think of a year when it's been easier. The part I like about the process is that every year, Time has to explain patiently that the nominee is the person who, for better or worse, has done more to influence the news. Still, that will do nothing to dispel the inevitable criticisms that the selection of Barack Obama is further evidence of the librull media.

Runners up may include Paulson, Bernanke and MikeWaters, but I can't imagine anyone coming close to the President-elect.

I agree that BO will likely make the final cut. However, ever since Time picked the computer as its "person" of the year, you now have to consider inanimate objects, as well. I could also see a nod to "The Economy" as "person" of the year.

One true factoid....on my resume, under personal, I have listed "Time Magazine's Person of the Year - 2006." I havent looked for a job yet, but if I do, I hope someone asks me about it.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine...061225_400.jpg

Archaea 11-06-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 291051)

They'll all ejaculate in unison over his name.

I will cease to watch news, except for financial news. Or really important stuff, such as sports, why Nick isn't the one, and who won Dancing with the Stars.

YOhio 11-06-2008 03:11 PM

I love Person of the Year because the U.S. always kicks ass in that event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Pe...ns_of_the_Year

YOhio 11-06-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 291075)
I will cease to watch news.... Or really important stuff, such as sports, why Nick isn't the one, and who won Dancing with the Stars.

Hey, you already sound like an Obama suppporter. It's nice to see you coming around.

All-American 11-06-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 291064)
I agree that BO will likely make the final cut. However, ever since Time picked the computer as its "person" of the year, you now have to consider inanimate objects, as well. I could also see a nod to "The Economy" as "person" of the year.

One true factoid....on my resume, under personal, I have listed "Time Magazine's Person of the Year - 2006." I havent looked for a job yet, but if I do, I hope someone asks me about it.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine...061225_400.jpg

I had it listed on my law school resume that I was person of the year, but I was advised to leave it off. Killjoys.

TripletDaddy 11-06-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 291121)
I had it listed on my law school resume that I was person of the year, but I was advised to leave it off. Killjoys.

leave it off? what for? did mikewaters review your resume? If so, keep in mind that there are no interviews for law school admission.

The personal section is completely ridiculous anyway. Do employers really care that you like to read books and play basketball?

I remember when Wheel of Fortune finally changed its format for the Bonus Round....given that everyone always picked the same exact letters every game, the producers decided to just spot everyone those same letters and allow them to choose a few extra ones. Now, everyone gets R, S, T, N, L, and E.

I think personal interests are the same....everyone puts the exact same ones....ski, travel, sports, movies, books......yawn. Why not spice it up with something interesting......"espionage," "beef jerkey," or "breakdancing."

All-American 11-06-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 291131)
leave it off? what for? did mikewaters review your resume? If so, keep in mind that there are no interviews for law school admission.

The personal section is completely ridiculous anyway. Do employers really care that you like to read books and play basketball?

I remember when Wheel of Fortune finally changed its format for the Bonus Round....given that everyone always picked the same exact letters every game, the producers decided to just spot everyone those same letters and allow them to choose a few extra ones. Now, everyone gets R, S, T, N, L, and E.

I think personal interests are the same....everyone puts the exact same ones....ski, travel, sports, movies, books......yawn. Why not spice it up with something interesting......"espionage," "beef jerkey," or "breakdancing."

No, Waters never saw it. BYU's prelaw adviser told me to leave it off.

TripletDaddy 11-06-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 291134)
No, Waters never saw it. BYU's prelaw adviser told me to leave it off.

Based off your LSAT and what I would anticipate your GPA to be, you could put that you were Time's 1938 Man of the Year and still get callbacks at a lot of top schools.

landpoke 11-06-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 291131)

Ballista, non-alternative energy sources and cat hats.