cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "...a bad night for the GOP" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14444)

8ballrollin 11-29-2007 04:07 AM

"...a bad night for the GOP"

'So, a good night for for the lowest denominator, a bad night for the GOP. America got to see a vaguely threatening parade of gun fetishists, flat worlders, Mars Explorers, Confederate flag lovers and zombie-eyed-Bible-wavers as well as various one issue activists hammering their pet causes.... The media will probably award a win to Mike Huckabee, the easy listening music candidate at home in any crowd, fluent in simpleton speak and the one man on the stage tonight who led the audience to roaring cheers by boasting that he had a special qualification to be president that none of the second-raters on the stage could match: A degree in Bible Studies from Ouachita Baptist University of Arkadelphia, Arkansas."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...ing_debate.asp

il Padrino Ute 11-29-2007 04:11 AM

So, CNN, which already hates Republicans, chose only the idiots who posted questions via youtube to make the GOP look silly?

There's a surprise. :)

Cali Coug 11-29-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 156802)
'So, a good night for for the lowest denominator, a bad night for the GOP. America got to see a vaguely threatening parade of gun fetishists, flat worlders, Mars Explorers, Confederate flag lovers and zombie-eyed-Bible-wavers as well as various one issue activists hammering their pet causes.... The media will probably award a win to Mike Huckabee, the easy listening music candidate at home in any crowd, fluent in simpleton speak and the one man on the stage tonight who led the audience to roaring cheers by boasting that he had a special qualification to be president that none of the second-raters on the stage could match: A degree in Bible Studies from Ouachita Baptist University of Arkadelphia, Arkansas."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...ing_debate.asp

I actually thought this was far and away the most entertaining of all of the debates so far, Democrat or Republican. I thought the questions were by and large pertinent and meaty, and the responses were mostly direct.

I still can't believe nobody challenged Huckabee when he suggested the IRS should be abolished. Great idea, Huck. Then what?

Jeff Lebowski 11-29-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 156826)
I actually thought this was far and away the most entertaining of all of the debates so far, Democrat or Republican. I thought the questions were by and large pertinent and meaty, and the responses were mostly direct.

I still can't believe nobody challenged Huckabee when he suggested the IRS should be abolished. Great idea, Huck. Then what?

Huckabee looks like a disaster. Heaven forbid he gets elected.

Tex 11-29-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 156836)

Just curious, why do you think so?

Cali Coug 11-29-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 156836)

I agree. To me, he looks like a polished speaker with little substance. Perhaps he has to take crazy positions (like abolishing the IRS) to get attention, but that kind of rhetoric will get you crushed in the general election (and I don't expect him to make it there anyways).

il Padrino Ute 11-29-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 156847)
I agree. To me, he looks like a polished speaker with little substance. Perhaps he has to take crazy positions (like abolishing the IRS) to get attention, but that kind of rhetoric will get you crushed in the general election (and I don't expect him to make it there anyways).

Anyone that wants to abolish the IRS will go immediately to the top of my list of who to vote for.

YOhio 11-29-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 156987)
Anyone that wants to abolish the IRS will go immediately to the top of my list of who to vote for.

I'd prefer the candidate who promises free skittles and m&m's to every citizen, which is about a hundred times more likely than abolishing the IRS.

SeattleUte 11-29-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 156838)
Just curious, why do you think so?

He's one of those morons who believes the earth is 6,000 years old...Oops, sorry. Never mind. Didn't mean to offend you.

woot 11-29-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 156994)
He's one of those morons who believes the earth is 6,000 years old...Oops, sorry. Never mind. Didn't mean to offend you.

Yep he was one of the 3 guys who denied evolution at an earlier debate. I think that a Biblical literalist is the very last thing we need right now as a country.