cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mormon study groups (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20751)

Levin 07-08-2008 09:03 PM

Mormon study groups

One of my best friends went to an Ivy League law school. While there, he and his wife joined with other mormon couples also in graduate school to start a study group to discuss church issues of the kind we do here -- that is, it was not scripture study, but a wide-eyed examination of church history/doctrine, etc.

Within 18 months, every single couple (there were 5) had become inactive and/or left the church.

What's the moral of the story here? And no, I don't think the moral of the story is either (1) don't have non-scripture study groups (see Adam's positive experience with his), or (2) don't examine history and doctrine with open, inquiring eyes.

I think there's a different moral to the story . . .

UtahDan 07-08-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 239321)
One of my best friends went to an Ivy League law school. While there, he and his wife joined with other mormon couples also in graduate school to start a study group to discuss church issues of the kind we do here -- that is, it was not scripture study, but a wide-eyed examination of church history/doctrine, etc.

Within 18 months, every single couple (there were 5) had become inactive and/or left the church.

What's the moral of the story here? And no, I don't think the moral of the story is either (1) don't have non-scripture study groups (see Adam's positive experience with his), or (2) don't examine history and doctrine with open, inquiring eyes.

I think there's a different moral to the story . . .

Hard to say without knowing what prompted them to leave. One would assume they aren't all identical.

MikeWaters 07-08-2008 09:11 PM

I have a friend who went to an Ivy League professional school. He's inactive/apostate.

He didn't attend any Mormon study group.

There's a moral to this story....

UtahDan 07-08-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 239329)
I have a friend who went to an Ivy League professional school. He's inactive/apostate.

He didn't attend any Mormon study group.

There's a moral to this story....

Maybe its that the smarter you are easier it is to apostatize. Boy am I glad that you are the smartest guy here and not me.

MikeWaters 07-08-2008 09:15 PM

You don't have to be smart to apostasize.

See SU.

Levin 07-08-2008 09:17 PM

My friend told me that the study group was the impetus to them all leaving, and they left in rapid succession.

UtahDan 07-08-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 239338)
My friend told me that the study group was the impetus to them all leaving, and they left in rapid succession.

That doesn't really tell me anything. What were they studying? Did they all leave over the same issue? Were they already teetering that way and meeting up with other like minded doubters game them the courage of their convictions? Were they having a big orgy?

MikeWaters 07-08-2008 09:22 PM

Levin, so your friend who told you the story left the church as well?

Levin 07-08-2008 09:23 PM

No infidelity; I can speak for my friend -- based on our conversations, he had a very strong testimony before starting the study group. The group got together not because they wanted to criticize and gripe, but because they wanted to deepen their understanding of their faith and their church. He told me they started out with the goal of increasing their faith through asking questions and trying to find the answers.

He still believes in Christ.

YOhio 07-08-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 239345)
That doesn't really tell me anything. What were they studying? Did they all leave over the same issue? Were they already teetering that way and meeting up with other like minded doubters game them the courage of their convictions? Were they having a big orgy?

Bingo. Study groups inevitably lead to wife swapping.