cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is scouting slowly dying? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4784)

Sleeping in EQ 10-26-2006 12:43 AM

Is scouting slowly dying?

Sometimes I think it is. None of the boys in my ward seem to really like it, although they'll go along with it for something to do or because their parents are anal about it. They'll put nominal effort into merit badges and rank advancement. Scouting doesn't seem to occupy the place in the culture that it did a few decades ago. I'm not the biggest proponent of scouting but there were some positives I took from my experiences as a scout:

comraderie
learning about nature, wildlife etc.
developing a tolerance for bad food
not burning down trail signs
turning my pants into a flotation device
swearing in the woods with adults
learning not to screw with bees

Actually, I really got into backpacking from scouting and that lead to my reading up on people like John Muir and Thoreau.

Surfah 10-26-2006 01:08 AM

I think it is slowly dying. My scout experiences were memorable but not great. By the time I was in 8th grade scouts was something I went to if it didn't interfere with sports practices. I think I gained more from playing team sports than I ever did from scouts. I advanced as far as Star. And it's been amazing that I haven't been turned down or overlooked for positions I have applied for because I wasn't an Eagle like my scoutmaster once said.

It will be interesting to see what the Church does if this trend continues. Personally I think the Church should implement it's own Young Men's program like the Young Women do. I think it's headed that way with the Duty to God or whatever award it is. But I think that would be something more beneficial than scouting, and it could help focus the energy of YM Presidencies and Scoutmasters who are having to do both right now.

il Padrino Ute 10-26-2006 01:30 AM

I'm afraid so.

A scout is:

Trustworty
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Most of the values here are almost non-existent or mocked in today's "me-first" society.

Jeff Lebowski 10-26-2006 01:53 AM

Most definitely.

jay santos 10-26-2006 02:48 AM

I pray that it is.

creekster 10-26-2006 03:04 AM

Yup. My oldest son just got his eagle. I am not sure I really care if my youngest does or not (although his mother probably will; she is the high achiever in the family).

SteelBlue 10-26-2006 03:07 AM

No question about it. I think scouting has a lot of positives. I think most of them could be achieved without being under the scouting umbrella.

MikeWaters 10-26-2006 03:59 AM

The more appropriate question is whether LDS scouting is dying?

All I know is that non-LDS troops seem to be run 1000% better. And almost all the voluntary organizational leadership is non-Mormon.

They have this funny system where the leaders are people who actually feel invested in scouting and choose to do it.

il Padrino Ute 10-26-2006 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 42506)
The more appropriate question is whether LDS scouting is dying?

All I know is that non-LDS troops seem to be run 1000% better. And almost all the voluntary organizational leadership is non-Mormon.

They have this funny system where the leaders are people who actually feel invested in scouting and choose to do it.

That's a good point. Scouting in the LDS arena is not what it was in my day as a scout.

Archaea 10-26-2006 04:55 AM

Ours is excellent and much better than the nonLDS troops, so maybe it's just you. ;)