cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Just Curious... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6354)

Mormon Red Death 02-02-2007 04:18 PM

Just Curious...

Has there been a player in the last 20 years from the state of Utah recruitig who has been exceptional for BYU... I am thinking that the Reid boys were the last ones I can think of

Not a slam just wondering if I am missing anyone...

Wesley?

Detroitdad 02-02-2007 04:21 PM

Tell us what you mean by exceptional and then maybe we can answer.

Mormon Red Death 02-02-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 58200)
Tell us what you mean by exceptional and then maybe we can answer.

First team all conference or played in the NBA...

Oh wait i just thought of one... Travis Hansen

Venkman 02-02-2007 04:27 PM

Marty Haws
Shawn Bradley

ute4ever 02-02-2007 04:27 PM

Shawn Bradley was there for only one year and led them to the postseason. Was he a home-grown product? I met his grandmother once, in Salt Lake City.

jay santos 02-02-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 58197)
Has there been a player in the last 20 years from the state of Utah recruitig who has been exceptional for BYU... I am thinking that the Reid boys were the last ones I can think of

Not a slam just wondering if I am missing anyone...

Wesley?

Durrant, Roberts, Bradley, Miller, Fish (not sure where he was from), Russell Larsen, Knight, Wesley, Whiting, Hansen

Not sure if any of those would be called exceptional.

SeattleUte 02-02-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 58210)
Durrant, Roberts, Bradley, Miller, Fish (not sure where he was from), Russell Larsen, Knight, Wesley, Whiting, Hansen

Not sure if any of those would be called exceptional.

The first two are definitely quite exceptional. Roberts was a quality NBA player. Durrant was MVP of the Louisville Derby Classic and ultimatuly led the nation in scoring and was a great freshman. His mission wrecked his pro prospects. Now we're talking over 20 years ago however. The rest of them are nothing to build a program around. Role players at most.

The Durrant/Roberts class was a aberration that happens every couple of decades or so like Burgess, Plaistead and Cummard class. Roberts and Durant also were attracted to BYU by Ainge being there.

jay santos 02-02-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 58213)
The first two are definitely quite exceptional. Roberts was a quality NBA player. Durrant was MVP of the Louisville Derby Classic and ultimatuly led the nation in scoring and was a great freshman. His mission wrecked his pro prospects. Now we're talking over 20 years ago however. The rest of them are nothing to build a program around. Role players at most.

The Durrant/Roberts class was a aberration that happens every couple of decades or so like Burgess, Plaistead and Cummard class. Roberts and Durant also were attracted to BYU by Ainge being there.

Thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure the Durrant family were hoping and praying their sons would go to the U with all their history and tradition--too bad Ainge had to screw it up for them.

Venkman 02-02-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 58209)
Shawn Bradley was there for only one year and led them to the postseason. Was he a home-grown product? I met his grandmother once, in Salt Lake City.

from Castle Dale

Archaea 02-02-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 58213)

This Fredette/Tavernari class will end up being nice; of course, they're not from Utah.