cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Possible for Bush to be regarded as a great president? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24430)

SeattleUte 11-05-2008 10:45 PM

Possible for Bush to be regarded as a great president?

When Turman left office he was widely hated, at least as badly as Bush. It took a better understanding of the cold war and how Truman positioned us to win it to appreciate his greatness. Does Bush have a shot at being regarded a great president? I see two possiblities.

One, maybe historians will come to better understand the financial crisis as not of his or Republicans' making (I don't know), and give his administration credit for staving off a great depression with the Treasury's quick action (again, I don't know). Second, if the Middle East moderates, becomes secularized like Turkey, he may get credit for addressing a problem head on rather than responding with isolationism and pacifism (I don't know; but I kind of doubt it).

BarbaraGordon 11-05-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 290764)
When Turman left office he was widely hated, at least as badly as Bush. It took a better understanding of the cold war and how Truman positioned us to win it to appreciate his greatness. Does Bush have a shot at being regarded a great president? I see two possiblities.

One, maybe historians will come to better understand the financial crisis as not of his or Republicans' making (I don't know), and give his administration credit for staving off a great depression with the Treasury's quick action (again, I don't know). Second, if the Middle East moderates, becomes secularized like Turkey, he may get credit for addressing a problem head on rather than responding with isolationism and pacifism (I don't know; but I kind of doubt it).

No. Regardless of how some of these issues are viewed over time, Bush will almost certainly be regarded as one of the worst presidents ever. And I say that having voted for him not once, but twice.

Archaea 11-05-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 290770)
No. Regardless of how some of these issues are viewed over time, Bush will almost certainly be regarded as one of the worst presidents ever. And I say that having voted for him not once, but twice.

Immediate history will certainly agree with you.

A large portion of the financial crisis will be linked to Clinton, i.e., the Sub Prime Market fiasco, but Bush and both parties did nothing correctly in this matter.

I cannot foresee historians rethinking him to be a great president, the only hope is for some to find him mediocre or average, if some of the eventualities come to be realized.

Tex 11-05-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 290770)

Once again, I disagree. I doubt he'll experience a Truman resurgence, though if Iraq and Afghanistan transform over the next decade, it's possible.

Likely 50 years from now he'll be viewed as a very average president.

BlueHair 11-05-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290772)
Once again, I disagree. I doubt he'll experience a Truman resurgence, though if Iraq and Afghanistan transform over the next decade, it's possible.

Likely 50 years from now he'll be viewed as a very average president.

It will take a lot of bad presidents over the next 50 years to make him average.

Solon 11-05-2008 11:56 PM

Yes.

During Bush's first term, Congress passed and Bush supported and signed one of the greatest pieces of legislation in modern American history.

Bush can make a lot of hay out of this one. His legacy is secure.

[In all seriousness, this is a great law.]

Tex 11-06-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 290797)
It will take a lot of bad presidents over the next 50 years to make him average.

Begging your pardon, but I don't think people at your extreme of the spectrum will be writing the histories 50 years from now.

Then again, in view of the nuttiness of current Big Education, maybe they will after all.

All-American 11-06-2008 01:32 AM

No.

GREATEST President.

BlueHair 11-06-2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 290830)
Begging your pardon, but I don't think people at your extreme of the spectrum will be writing the histories 50 years from now.

Then again, in view of the nuttiness of current Big Education, maybe they will after all.

You calling me extreme. That's rich. Only exUte has managed to get farther right than you. Of course, I just put exUte on ignore, so you'll have to be the Neocon on the board in my eyes. I disagree with most of your views, but at least you put some thought into it. exUte makes Forrest Gump look like Einstein.

BlueHair 11-06-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 290808)
Yes.

During Bush's first term, Congress passed and Bush supported and signed one of the greatest pieces of legislation in modern American history.

Bush can make a lot of hay out of this one. His legacy is secure.

[In all seriousness, this is a great law.]

Holy shit! He did do something good in his eight years. I would still rather have telemarketing calls than have him be president, but at least he did something decent.