cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Executive Orders (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24657)

BlueHair 11-11-2008 10:49 PM

Executive Orders

There's been a lot of talk of Obama reversing some of Bush's Executive Orders. What can/can't the President do using Executive Orders? Could he do something drastic, like turn the entire military over to a private security company?

il Padrino Ute 11-12-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 293920)
There's been a lot of talk of Obama reversing some of Bush's Executive Orders. What can/can't the President do using Executive Orders? Could he do something drastic, like turn the entire military over to a private security company?

I have no idea, but I would hope he couldn't. Are they called Executive Orders because a sitting President doesn't need any kind of permission or feedback from Congress?

BlueHair 11-12-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 294038)
I have no idea, but I would hope he couldn't. Are they called Executive Orders because a sitting President doesn't need any kind of permission or feedback from Congress?

Yes. The President can do many things on his own. I just don't know what the limits are or if Congress can step in later and reverse an Executive Order. Bush stopped government funding for stem cell research by Executive Order. Obama is going to reverse this. If I'm not mistaken, a president can declare martial law without congressional support.

hyrum 11-12-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 293920)

The one I heard about was drilling on certain Federal lands. Since the executive branch controls the BLM, Forest Service and National Parks, they can control the amount of drilling and exploration on these lands.

Gidget 11-12-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 294044)
Yes. The President can do many things on his own. I just don't know what the limits are or if Congress can step in later and reverse an Executive Order. Bush stopped government funding for stem cell research by Executive Order. Obama is going to reverse this. If I'm not mistaken, a president can declare martial law without congressional support.

Where does the church stand on stem cell research?

landpoke 11-12-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 294141)
The one I heard about was drilling on certain Federal lands. Since the executive branch controls the BLM, Forest Service and National Parks, they can control the amount of drilling and exploration on these lands.

John Podesta, Obama's transition guy, has already stated they would be looking to stop a pending lease sale in Utah.

il Padrino Ute 11-12-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 294211)
John Podesta, Obama's transition guy, has already stated they would be looking to stop a pending lease sale in Utah.

The folks at the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance love Obama, which tells me everything I need to know - that Obama will kowtow to the radical left.

SUWA exists only to make areas of the state of Utah a playground for environmentalist extremists and it seems as if they'll get their wish granted with Obama in the White House.

Bastards.

SoCalCoug 11-12-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 294167)

They stand with the Republican party.

Cali Coug 11-12-2008 07:53 PM

The president is the chief executive of the executive branch. There are several agencies within the executive branch, and the president has the authority to issue orders which govern the actions of those agencies. Executive orders are not permitted where they make new law (the lawyers here probably recall Youngstown Steel from law school).

Executive orders are intended to give further directives pursuant to law, or to take action granted by Congress (many times the Congress gives the executive branch the authority to act in a certain realm as it sees fit, within certain boundaries).

TheAzzuri 11-12-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 294167)

They have no stance at all.
________
Pussy4Fun