cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Official 5k Time Thread (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11315)

MikeWaters 08-28-2007 08:51 PM

Official 5k Time Thread

Post your times here. Stickied.

Archaea 08-28-2007 08:59 PM

On injured reserve for ten more days, and I'm paranoid to see how much I've lost.

Here's Runner Coug's link as well.

http://www.shaneb.net/times.html

bluegoose 09-21-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 118212)
On injured reserve for ten more days, and I'm paranoid to see how much I've lost.

Here's Runner Coug's link as well.

http://www.shaneb.net/times.html

I'm a little confused on this site that runnercoug has set up. How do you submit a name to go along with your time? Or it just a cougarguard vs, cougarboard challenge?

ewth8tr 09-21-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 126293)
I'm a little confused on this site that runnercoug has set up. How do you submit a name to go along with your time? Or it just a cougarguard vs, cougarboard challenge?

You type your boardname in the boardname field :)

bluegoose 09-21-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 126349)
You type your boardname in the boardname field :)

I'm an idiot. I read that as typing which board you follow, or claim as "yours".

Will a moderator please delete my last entry to help me avoid looking like (or at least more of) an idiot??? :)

Archaea 09-21-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 126460)
I'm an idiot. I read that as typing which board you follow, or claim as "yours".

Will a moderator please delete my last entry to help me avoid looking like (or at least more of) an idiot??? :)

Request denied, it must remain for the entertainment of all concerned.

realtall 12-25-2007 02:18 AM

Well, I'm not proud so I'll be the first. Maybe it will help others to post their times when they see how much better theirs is than mine.

I think that my best was about 27:40.

Now stop laughing so hard and post your own.

SteelBlue 12-26-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtall (Post 166873)
Well, I'm not proud so I'll be the first. Maybe it will help others to post their times when they see how much better theirs is than mine.

I think that my best was about 27:40.

Now stop laughing so hard and post your own.

We've got a challenge going on Nike+, if you use that system you're welcome to join us.

fuegote 01-07-2008 02:03 PM

I don't know how you guys bust your butt for so long. I ran as hard as I could for as long as I could and still finished 5 mintues behind you guys.

Although, that was my fastest 5k time and I'm down to 239 (from 260 dec 1)

bluegoose 01-07-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 171096)
I don't know how you guys bust your butt for so long. I ran as hard as I could for as long as I could and still finished 5 mintues behind you guys.

Although, that was my fastest 5k time and I'm down to 239 (from 260 dec 1)

There is no way that I could stay within 5 minutes of my current time with a 70 pound backpack on. What you've done the last 2 months is nothing short of incredible.

Any sign of overuse injuries?

Archaea 01-07-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 171110)
There is no way that I could stay within 5 minutes of my current time with a 70 pound backpack on. What you've done the last 2 months is nothing short of incredible.

I've never thought of it in that manner.

Geeze, I'd be walking with seventy pounds on me.

bigpiney 01-07-2008 05:07 PM

Well, first time under 20:00. I got a 19:44 on Saturday.

My goal for the end of last year was to run under 20 min by the end of the year. I was kind of dissapointed it didn't happen, but only running 3 times in the last 3 months didn't help either. Weird thing is for this run, I was going to go out and so a long slow distance and run around 5 miles (that is long for me). So I start off and stick to the road and was feeling pretty good. I checked my time and speed at around the 2 mile mark and it said I was running a under a 6:30 pace, I couldn't believe it so I said what hte hell, guess I will try adn keep it going for one more. After I finished the 5 k I took it easy getting home, right around a 7:05 pace for the last 2 miles. now I jsut need to learn to go out slower when I actually intend on doing so.

fuegote 01-07-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 171110)

I've been very mindful of my shins and knees. I started having shin splints the first couple of weeks but learned to massage them out as well as taking some ibuprofen and I haven't had any pain sense. I mean, i logged 42 miles last week and no pain throughout the week.

and thanks for the encouragement. I can't think of missing a day anymore. Had you told me last year I would be (able to run) running this much I would have passed out due to laughter.

SteelBlue 01-07-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 171172)
I've been very mindful of my shins and knees. I started having shin splints the first couple of weeks but learned to massage them out as well as taking some ibuprofen and I haven't had any pain sense. I mean, i logged 42 miles last week and no pain throughout the week.

and thanks for the encouragement. I can't think of missing a day anymore. Had you told me last year I would be (able to run) running this much I would have passed out due to laughter.

I started running around this time last year and spent just under 4 months injured off and on. Your heart and lungs are ready to be pushed long before your legs can handle it. I've learned the hard way that I'm not 21 anymore and have had to cut back on the mileage many times. That said, I feel good and am enjoying the sport immensely. My prediction for fuegote is that in Jan. of next year you'll weight about 190 pounds or less.

SteelBlue 01-07-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 171171)
I checked my time and speed at around the 2 mile mark and it said I was running a under a 6:30 pace, I couldn't believe it so I said what hte hell, guess I will try adn keep it going for one more. After I finished the 5 k I took it easy getting home, right around a 7:05 pace for the last 2 miles. now I jsut need to learn to go out slower when I actually intend on doing so.

Wow piney, that must be a cool feeling. 7:05 was my pace for my fastest 5k last year. I look forward to the day when that feels like I'm taking it easy.

fuegote 01-07-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 171243)
My prediction for fuegote is that in Jan. of next year you'll weight about 190 pounds or less.

that's my goal. If I could get down to 190, I think I would cry.

fuegote 01-08-2008 07:46 PM

thatsportsfan just got a nike+. Add him to the 5k challenge. his Nike+ id is sportsfan.

ThatSportsFan 01-31-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 171885)
thatsportsfan just got a nike+. Add him to the 5k challenge. his Nike+ id is sportsfan.

I still haven't been invited yet for this challenge. I would like to join. Thank you.

cambo 02-05-2008 10:07 PM

So I have only been running for a month and I've lost 13 pounds so far. Today I actually timed a 5K and I did it in 29:36. That wore me out. I have no clue how you do a 5K under 20 minutes. That is beyond my thinking.

MikeWaters 02-05-2008 10:07 PM

I've never run 5k in my life. I can't imagine running that far.

SteelBlue 02-05-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan (Post 180546)
I still haven't been invited yet for this challenge. I would like to join. Thank you.

I invited you today under the name sportsfan. It that's not exactly correct, let me know what your screen name actually is and I'll try again.

ThatSportsFan 02-06-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 181952)
I invited you today under the name sportsfan. It that's not exactly correct, let me know what your screen name actually is and I'll try again.

I checked but I didn't get the invite. But Sportsfan is my screen name. I don't know why it didn't work.

SteelBlue 02-06-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan (Post 182008)
I checked but I didn't get the invite. But Sportsfan is my screen name. I don't know why it didn't work.

Well, I sent it to sportsfan. If it's actually Sportsfan then that's the problem. I'll try that.

ThatSportsFan 02-06-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 182036)
Well, I sent it to sportsfan. If it's actually Sportsfan then that's the problem. I'll try that.

Well that worked. I got it. Thanks

cambo 02-08-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 181893)
So I have only been running for a month and I've lost 13 pounds so far. Today I actually timed a 5K and I did it in 29:36. That wore me out. I have no clue how you do a 5K under 20 minutes. That is beyond my thinking.

Just timed myself again on a 5K and did it in 27:13. Knocked off a little over 2 minutes.

cambo 02-26-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 183135)
Just timed myself again on a 5K and did it in 27:13. Knocked off a little over 2 minutes.

This morning I again timed myself on a 5K run and did it in 24:39. I was hauling butt and that sucked big time. I've cut 5 minutes off my time in the last month. I've also lost 21 pounds since Jan 7th. I feel great!

bigpiney 02-26-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 189816)
This morning I again timed myself on a 5K run and did it in 24:39. I was hauling butt and that sucked big time. I've cut 5 minutes off my time in the last month. I've also lost 21 pounds since Jan 7th. I feel great!

I am impressed. way to go.

OrangeUte 03-05-2008 11:35 PM

i ran a 26:15 (approx) w/ steelblue on monday night. that dude can glide quickly and is way too fast for me. however, he has graciously ran with me a few times over the last few weeks and i have completed faster times (including my first sub 8 min mile) than i ever thought i would.

SteelBlue 03-06-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 194283)
i ran a 26:15 (approx) w/ steelblue on monday night. that dude can glide quickly and is way too fast for me. however, he has graciously ran with me a few times over the last few weeks and i have completed faster times (including my first sub 8 min mile) than i ever thought i would.

I am indeed a hell of a guy.

Archaea 03-06-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 194329)

I was on the streets again Tuesday. Did my first seven miler with a new running buddy. Tomorrow we go further, perhaps eight or nine.

SteelBlue 03-06-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 194341)
I was on the streets again Tuesday. Did my first seven miler with a new running buddy. Tomorrow we go further, perhaps eight or nine.

Did you lose much speed?

Archaea 03-06-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 194366)
Did you lose much speed?

Yeah. We're only averaging about 7:45s, and 7:30s were okay, but when I tried to go sub sevens, it didn't feel good [so I didn't]. It is good that the running bud, is a cute gal, so that makes the suffering worth it.

I still want to break 1:30 some day, but perhaps my wish is in vain, as that 7:00 mark seems to cause me to break down injurywise. I know I'm a wimp but at least I try.

OrangeUte 03-06-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 194329)

at least you didn't call me a tulip last night. if you do that again, i'm going to throw a rock at you. :D

sonofchet 03-12-2008 11:58 PM

This is an interesting thread

I'm new to the site, but I found this to be an interesting idea. I'm always looking for some sort of motivation to make me workout more and I like the idea of having a forum like this to help me set goals and give a little bit of accountability.

I tried following the link from the first page of this thread to the site where I can supposedly enter times, but it tells me it doesn't exist anymore. Am I just technologically inept?

As for my 5K time; well I haven't been timed in many years, but my fastest ever official time was 15:36 (in high school, very flat course). I'm kind of excited to time myself tonight. I think if I hit 24 minutes, I'll be VERY happy with myself.

bluegoose 03-13-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofchet (Post 197522)
I'm new to the site, but I found this to be an interesting idea. I'm always looking for some sort of motivation to make me workout more and I like the idea of having a forum like this to help me set goals and give a little bit of accountability.

I tried following the link from the first page of this thread to the site where I can supposedly enter times, but it tells me it doesn't exist anymore. Am I just technologically inept?

As for my 5K time; well I haven't been timed in many years, but my fastest ever official time was 15:36 (in high school, very flat course). I'm kind of excited to time myself tonight. I think if I hit 24 minutes, I'll be VERY happy with myself.

Welcome.

Runnercoug was maintaining that site, but I don't know if it ever got off of the ground.

Do you have an iPod Nano? Most of us are logged into the NikePlus system and have several challenges ongoing over there, both for speed and distance.

cambo 03-19-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 189816)

Best 5K time this morning. 23:20 is my new record. Also, I'm down to 176, 1 pound from my goal, and 27 pounds total lost since Jan 7th.

ThatSportsFan 03-20-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 200343)
Best 5K time this morning. 23:20 is my new record. Also, I'm down to 176, 1 pound from my goal, and 27 pounds total lost since Jan 7th.

Thats awesome. Great job.

enigma 03-26-2008 07:36 PM

29:51

but I did it. That was 3 months ago, and I think I'd be 27ish but now. I've been running.

K-dog 03-26-2008 08:07 PM

How far is 5K? Maybe I'll go out and run one to see how fast I am at it.

SteelBlue 03-26-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 202469)
How far is 5K? Maybe I'll go out and run one to see how fast I am at it.

3.1 miles.