cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ok, it's official. Bushman biog of Joseph Smith is the BOTB (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496)

MikeWaters 10-14-2005 05:32 AM

Just put in the order from Amazon tonight.

MikeWaters 10-23-2005 03:14 AM

I'm 20 pages into the book. First impression: good writing, going to be a fairly quick read.

cougarstolz 11-30-2005 06:03 PM

he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
Joseph had a younger brother named Gob that was an aspiring magician. Sort of an odd fellow. And his magic wasn't very good.

realtall 12-01-2005 05:48 AM

Re: he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougarstolz
he also had a brother who lost his hand to a seal

Lost his hand to a seal? As in an ocean dwelling mammal?

Iceman 03-07-2006 06:40 PM

Great Book

I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.

Big Daddy D 03-14-2006 10:30 PM

Re: And Next???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I am through chapter 3 of the JS bio. So far so good--great background on the magical aspects of the Smith family.

I nominate for our next book "Adventures of a Church Historian" by Leonard Arrington.

FYI: Goatnapper is Arrington's grandson. His cousin is a neighbor of mine.. what a phenomenal family lineage.

Cali Coug 06-05-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
I am about 3/4 done with this book and it is a great insight into the Prophet's life and the experiences that created the Man. I am not a big church historian, although I do enjoy it, so much of the things wrote about in this book were new to me, but increased my understanding of Joseph Smith immensely. So many of us revere him as almost a God on earth, when in reality, he was just a man who became a great man, but not before a learning curve. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definately recommend it.

I don't know why, but I am having a hard time getting through this one. It feels very slow moving to me. I have learned a lot, though, about Joseph Smith. The book is very informational, just a bit tedious.

bluegoose 08-24-2006 12:38 AM

Has Bushman been the BOTBM long enough now?

I'm looking into getting a new church book and am open to any recommendations.

Archaea 08-28-2006 11:27 PM

27. Rodney Stark. Christianizing the Urban Empire: A New Approach to Early Church History. In preparation. 26. Victories of Reason: How Christianity, Freedom, and Capitalism Led to Western Success. New York: Random House. In Press. 25. The Rise of a New World Faith: Rodney Stark on Mormonism. Edited by Reid L. Neilson. University of Illinois Press. In Press.
Three nominations for the new book of the month. I guess the first is disqualified unless somebody can obtain an advanced copy. Number 25 might be worth the read.