cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hmmm, polygamy going mainstream with the new TLC show (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27423)

MikeWaters 09-24-2010 07:49 PM

Hmmm, polygamy going mainstream with the new TLC show

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...how.cnn?hpt=C2

I can't tell from the video whether there is a fundamentalist Mormon connection, but I assume there is.

MikeWaters 09-27-2010 04:13 PM

Watched the show last night. Yes, they are fundamentalist Mormons, which the guy explained as the difference between Catholics and Protestants. So the dude was very clear to differentiate from mainstream LDS Mormonism.

The 2nd wife was actually raised as LDS. She is also the fattest one. :) And the one who wants to spend the least amount of time with the kids.

The dude is kind of annoying. Imagine Lebowski as a fundamentalist Mormon, and that's what he reminds me of. Annoying thinning, long hair. The kids are annoying too. Even though there house is nice and big, there is definitely the feel of Utah white trash going on here.

So I expect most of the season is going to be about the adjustment as the dude takes on wife #4, who is "in the lifestyle" and divorced, with a couple of kids. She's younger and hotter. By a fair margin.

It was actually kind of boring. One gets the impression that we are seeing their best side. Not that I blame them. If for some reason, I was roped into a reality show, I would try and present my best side as well.

I wonder if this show will have any cultural resonance. I saw one non-LDS friend on facebook posting about it. Typical (female) reaction was "No way I could do that!" There was no male reaction.

I'm pretty sure that I would go crazy if I were in the dude's shoes. I value my independence and alone-time too much. Being pulled by 4 wives and some 18 kids would probably be the end of me.

MikeWaters 09-28-2010 04:01 PM

Utah police investigating.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ex.html?hpt=C2

We live in a police state. It's sickening.

At least the Nazis in Texas had the fallback of underage wives, in order to take every single last children from every family.

wuapinmon 09-30-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 312249)
Watched the show last night. Yes, they are fundamentalist Mormons, which the guy explained as the difference between Catholics and Protestants. So the dude was very clear to differentiate from mainstream LDS Mormonism.

The 2nd wife was actually raised as LDS. She is also the fattest one. :) And the one who wants to spend the least amount of time with the kids.

The dude is kind of annoying. Imagine Lebowski as a fundamentalist Mormon, and that's what he reminds me of. Annoying thinning, long hair. The kids are annoying too. Even though there house is nice and big, there is definitely the feel of Utah white trash going on here.

So I expect most of the season is going to be about the adjustment as the dude takes on wife #4, who is "in the lifestyle" and divorced, with a couple of kids. She's younger and hotter. By a fair margin.

It was actually kind of boring. One gets the impression that we are seeing their best side. Not that I blame them. If for some reason, I was roped into a reality show, I would try and present my best side as well.

I wonder if this show will have any cultural resonance. I saw one non-LDS friend on facebook posting about it. Typical (female) reaction was "No way I could do that!" There was no male reaction.

I'm pretty sure that I would go crazy if I were in the dude's shoes. I value my independence and alone-time too much. Being pulled by 4 wives and some 18 kids would probably be the end of me.

So, Lebowski is white trash? I've never met him, but I've always imagined him as a root beer sommelier; like SeattleUte without the eloquent bombast.

MikeWaters 09-30-2010 10:54 PM

No, not Lebowski the Utah County dude wasn't creative enough to come up with a better handle than "Lebowski".

Lebowski, the character in the movie. The dude.

Lebowski the Utah County guy, I have never met. I cannot comment on the white trash quotient with him.

wuapinmon 10-06-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 312285)
No, not Lebowski the Utah County dude wasn't creative enough to come up with a better handle than "Lebowski".

Lebowski, the character in the movie. The dude.

Lebowski the Utah County guy, I have never met. I cannot comment on the white trash quotient with him.

Ahh, I see the resemblance. How long before they do a shoe-shopping episode?

MikeWaters 10-06-2010 05:03 PM

I didn't see the 2nd episode. Someone on FB yesterday commented that they were in the same restaurant with him last night.