cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mormon character on the show "House" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13376)

tooblue 10-30-2007 06:22 PM

Mormon character on the show "House"

Maybe this belongs in the entertainment forum but ...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...222921,00.html

MikeWaters 10-30-2007 07:08 PM

It's a good thing to have a Mormon be part of the popular culture. And part of that happening is accepting that we are not going to get the GA-approved version.

I wonder if a main writer/producer were Mormon, and came up with this material, whether he would be excommunicated.

It's sad that this question even exists in my mind.

SteelBlue 10-30-2007 07:21 PM

More annoying than anything a show's writers could conjure up is this inevitable whiny article about how the writers don't do their research, don't know much about Mormons etc... I expect to receive a grassroots email any day now telling me to boycott.

tooblue 10-30-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 143660)
More annoying than anything a show's writers could conjure up is this inevitable whiny article about how the writers don't do their research, don't know much about Mormons etc... I expect to receive a grassroots email any day now telling me to boycott.

It is diplorable that BASIC research could actually make the character more compelling and not so much a charicature ... I think that's what the writer in the Dnews was saying in general about the entire show.

It is annoying Steel, and old, and I'm personally tired if it ... doesn't mean I am going to start or even participated in some grass roots email campaign to boycott. I watch very little tv to really care.

MikeWaters 10-30-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 143660)

OOOooooo, I love those emails. Because then I get to "reply all". One of my email replies about the gay marriage thing was a list of pro-gay positions Mitt Romney had taken, that went out to my entire extended family.

MikeWaters 10-30-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 143666)
It is diplorable that BASIC research could actually make the character more compelling and not so much a charicature ... I think that's what the writer in the Dnews was saying in general about the entire show.

It is annoying Steel, and old, and I'm personally tired if it ... doesn't mean I am going to start or even participated in some grass roots email campaign to boycott. I watch very little tv to really care.

Why should the Doctor on House be accurate? Most people in the USA aren't accurate about Mormons. So why should he? You of all people should understand the difference between drama and a documentary. For shame.

MikeWaters 10-30-2007 07:30 PM

btw, could they have picked a more unlikely person? A single-father, black Mormon doctor. Does one even exist? The only thing more unlikely would be a female black Mormon doctor, followed by a female Mormon doctor.

Sleeping in EQ 10-30-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 143648)
It's a good thing to have a Mormon be part of the popular culture. And part of that happening is accepting that we are not going to get the GA-approved version.

I wonder if a main writer/producer were Mormon, and came up with this material, whether he would be excommunicated.

It's sad that this question even exists in my mind.

There are plenty of Mormons working in Hollywood in off-stage positions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if one of their script writers is LDS.

SteelBlue 10-30-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 143666)

First, it's a character on a fictional tv show, they can make him be whatever they want him to be. I don't see that tv shows in general put any more research or respect into characters of other religious persuasions. Second, probably only half of all Mormons are hardcore/active LDS so somebody who is not portrayed as a perfectly faithful LDS on a tv show is probably representative of a good number of Mormons.

tooblue 10-30-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 143670)
Why should the Doctor on House be accurate? Most people in the USA aren't accurate about Mormons. So why should he? You of all people should understand the difference between drama and a documentary. For shame.

I understand the difference ... problem is the general populace believes Michael Moore is a documentary film maker :( And let's not forget Al Gore was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize ;)