cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Five Guys opens in SLC (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20360)

ute4ever 06-24-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 234035)
Five Guys is great. My wife and I used to go to the one in Alexandria, Va. (King Street) all the time

I've been there, right off the yellow metro line near the Mason temple. Good burgers.

Did you meet Sister Solon at the infamous Colonial 2nd ward, or at Five Guys? I hope you say at Five Guys. What a catch!

TripletDaddy 06-24-2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 234066)
Isn't that the place with the shark fin on top of the station wagon? If so, they make very nice fish tacos.

I honestly do not know. Rocky could confirm.

But I was impressed at the non-crapness of their tacos....they tasted like real mexican food. They came on corn tortillas. They had cilantro and onions...and really not much else. They didnt top them off with sour cream or cheddar cheese. You could get radishes on the side.

My only complaint was no horchata, which is almost inexcusable. But the tacos were nice, so I was happy.

Coach McGuirk 06-24-2008 08:03 PM

Brand X was good. They changed management about 3-4 years ago and it went downhill considerably. They went out of business about 1 1/2 ago.

5 guys sounds damn expensive for a fast food burger.

UtahDan 06-24-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 234345)
Brand X was good. They changed management about 3-4 years ago and it went downhill considerably. They went out of business about 1 1/2 ago.

5 guys sounds damn expensive for a fast food burger.

Here is the thing about 5 guys, it is a little pricier but think of it as short order rather than fast food. Plus, even a small fry will feed three people. What they do is take a styrofoam cup and fill it with fries boardwalk style, put it inside a bag, and then basically fill the bag the rest of the way up with fries. Also, they have regular and junior sizes for burgers. A regular anything is the size of your head. So the wife and I usually get junior burgers, split a small cajun fry (you MUST get the fries cajun style, to do otherwise is error) and two fountain drinks. That comes in at about 15 bucks. Plus you don't pay anything for all the shell-on peanuts you can eat while you wait.

Just try it. You'll be hooked.

Surfah 06-24-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 234353)
Here is the thing about 5 guys, it is a little pricier but think of it as short order rather than fast food. Plus, even a small fry will feed three people. What they do is take a styrofoam cup and fill it with fries boardwalk style, put it inside a bag, and then basically fill the bag the rest of the way up with fries. Also, they have regular and junior sizes for burgers. A regular anything is the size of your head. So the wife and I usually get junior burgers, split a small cajun fry (you MUST get the fries cajun style, to do otherwise is error) and two fountain drinks. That comes in at about 15 bucks. Plus you don't pay anything for all the shell-on peanuts you can eat while you wait.

Just try it. You'll be hooked.

I posted about 5 Guys awhile back but nobody noticed. 5 Guys is awesome. Not only do they have good burgers but the best split pan-fried hot dogs. And their fries as Dan suggests are the shiznit. Splash them with the malt vinegar and voila! Heaven.

Solon 06-25-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 234069)
I've been there, right off the yellow metro line near the Mason temple. Good burgers.

Did you meet Sister Solon at the infamous Colonial 2nd ward, or at Five Guys? I hope you say at Five Guys. What a catch!

No, we actually met in Italy while we were both on vacation. Strange but true. She and I had a mutual friend, and this friend arranged for me to meet him while she was getting on the plane to go home. We went out when I got back to the states and that was that.

We were dating when I took a job in the DC area, so she came out with me. We technically maintained separate residences, but you know . . . We never really hit the Colonial Singles Ward. The building was literally so crowded during church that you couldn't walk from one end to another when classes let out. It was like a frat party, only pretty much the exact opposite behavior. So, we just attended a family ward (the Alexandria ward).

DrumNFeather 06-25-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 234069)

Colonial 2nd is where its at!

Oh, and Five Guys is a high quality fast food burger...

ute4ever 06-25-2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 234462)
Colonial 2nd is where its at!

Ah, there's nothing quite like all of the hot-headed, young PoliSci majors and law students who go to DC to intern, being sent to the same singles ward. There's more propaganda between those walls than scripture.

DrumNFeather 06-25-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 234464)
Ah, there's nothing quite like all of the hot-headed, young PoliSci majors and law students who go to DC to intern, being sent to the same singles ward. There's more propaganda between those walls than scripture.

We had one girl here literally leave the ward to go back to her home state and run for congress. It is quite the group of young LDS singles, that's for sure.

RockyBalboa 06-28-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 234066)
Isn't that the place with the shark fin on top of the station wagon? If so, they make very nice fish tacos.

Yes that's the place.

It's off of Fort Union BLVD right before you hit 2300 East.

I just ate there last night. I live 0.5 mile walk from there. :)