cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who's the better big game coach? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24758)

SeattleUte 11-17-2008 05:50 PM

Who's the better big game coach?

Is this a factor?

cougjunkie 11-17-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 295487)
Is this a factor?

2-1 says Bronco.

Archaea 11-17-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295488)
2-1 says Bronco.

Wasn't BYU decidedly better in both wins but only won on clutch plays? The first year, I might guess Bronco did a great job coaching that game, but the last two years, one might say we underperformed.

BarbaraGordon 11-17-2008 06:08 PM

I was impressed with how up Utah was for TCU.

SeattleUte 11-17-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295488)
2-1 says Bronco.

I understand that for you "big game" begins and ends with the rivalry. We have a broader world. I do note that Utah has been stronger in the bowls, and has been a heavy underdog in all three previous games with BYU under Whit as he's rebuilt his program. Also, as Barbara, notes, they were ready against TCU. Not only that, when faced with dire circumstances the Utes rallied and held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes.

cougjunkie 11-17-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 295496)
I understand that for you "big game" begins and ends with the rivalry. We have a broader world. I do note that Utah has been stronger in the bowls, and has been a heavy underdog in all three previous games with BYU under Whit as he's rebuilt his program. Also, as Barbara, notes, they were ready against TCU. Not only that, when faced with dire circumstances the Utes rallied and held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes.

Bronco is 2-1 in bowl games as well.

Clark Addison 11-17-2008 07:07 PM

I think that I'm going to have to say Bronco Mendenhall on this one.

exUte 11-17-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295489)
Wasn't BYU decidedly better in both wins but only won on clutch plays? The first year, I might guess Bronco did a great job coaching that game, but the last two years, one might say we underperformed.

Thank goodness for magic the past two years or we would have lost 6 in a row to Utah.

MikeWaters 11-17-2008 07:26 PM

The MAFU in Kyle seems to have worn away. I'm impressed with the job that Kyle has done, and his stock, in my eyes, has shot up.

Venkman 11-17-2008 07:58 PM

Kyle has morphed into a major league asshole, but he's a pretty damn good "big game coach". Better than Bronco? Not sure, but probably, for the reasons exie and SU have detailed. But I'll have a better answer come next Sunday.