cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   If you had to pick another team (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10402)

BarbaraGordon 07-27-2007 08:36 PM

If you had to pick another team

Let's say for some bizarre reason your favorite team is either wiped from the face of the earth or perhaps (as is more likely in certain cases) handed the death penalty from the NCAA...

Would you pick a new team just for the sake of following college athletics? Which one?

If I wanted a rough equivalent I'd go with Alabama, I think. After all, I could still wear crimson and spend my time wondering which NCAA infractions are going to creep up next. ha! Anyhow, with all their tradition and such I've always rather liked the Tide.

My other choice would probably be Washington. I don't know...maybe it's the purple...I've always had a heart for the Huskies. (Incidentally, they've got a killer schedule this year. I'm curious to see how the first five games play out.)

MikeWaters 07-27-2007 08:43 PM

I'd go celibate.

Mormon Red Death 07-27-2007 08:48 PM

I'd pick michigan (the other school to which I am an alum) but it wouldn't be the same. I didn't grow up going to michigan games.

Black Diamond Bay 07-27-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 106786)
Let's say for some bizarre reason your favorite team is either wiped from the face of the earth or perhaps (as is more likely in certain cases) handed the death penalty from the NCAA...

Would you pick a new team just for the sake of following college athletics? Which one?

If I wanted a rough equivalent I'd go with Alabama, I think. After all, I could still wear crimson and spend my time wondering which NCAA infractions are going to creep up next. ha! Anyhow, with all their tradition and such I've always rather liked the Tide.

My other choice would probably be Washington. I don't know...maybe it's the purple...I've always had a heart for the Huskies. (Incidentally, they've got a killer schedule this year. I'm curious to see how the first five games play out.)

BYU did actually scratch the football program back in 1920-1922 I believe. It was supposedly over an incident in a city league game in Salt Lake where a player got killed in a spearing incident. There were certain members of the church leadership at the time that felt that football was too riotous, and the program was scrapped. If anything like that ever happened again I would blame that stupid yewt Samuelson (it's kind of refreshing to be able to say that with out fear of the moderators retaliating). Maybe this makes me a weak person, but I actually think I might have a harder time sustaining the brethren if they did something like that.

BlueK 07-27-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

I'd stop paying much attention. I might watch a game here or there, but my interest level overall would drop like a rock. The same would be true if BYU somehow ended up in a lower division. That's one reason why I think the BCS is so dangerous to the good of college sports. Only half the country has a local BCS team, so if they succeeded in separating themselves into their own elite division I think you wipe out a lot of fans.

il Padrino Ute 07-27-2007 08:58 PM

Go Marist!

Red Foxes, baby.

Sure, it's Division IAA football, but at least they have a playoff to find a legitimate champion.

RockyBalboa 07-27-2007 09:01 PM

I'd probably pick a Non-BCS School. I like rooting for the underdog.

TheSizzle36 07-27-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 106806)
If anything like that ever happened again I would blame that stupid yewt Samuelson (it's kind of refreshing to be able to say that with out fear of the moderators retaliating).

Here, it doesn't count if you say yewt. You have to say the real word...

;)

TheSizzle36 07-27-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

I am insulted that BYU would not be your next team. For all the time you spend here...

If I had to pick another team, I'm not sure who I would pick. I would probably be a luke-warm follower of the sport, maybe watch a local team (I'd pick Weber over the U right now, although I'd probably warm up to the U) and go from there.

BarbaraGordon 07-27-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 106848)
I am insulted that BYU would not be your next team. For all the time you spend here...

I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.

I really wanted to stay in the BCS, if it's all the same to you.

That said, I believe there's a ticket to the BYU-Tulsa game with my name on it. I'm considering wearing blue.