cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Gordon Smith (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20204)

SoonerCoug 06-13-2008 08:40 PM

Gordon Smith

Interesting stuff:

I don't get what he's trying to say, though.

MikeWaters 06-13-2008 08:50 PM

I have no idea what he just said.

Colly Wolly 06-14-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 231871)
I have no idea what he just said.

He hoped you'd understand...

il Padrino Ute 06-14-2008 02:23 AM

He's saying that he thinks the states should decide if gays/lesbians should have the right to be married because it wouldn't be right for a federal judge to force a state to acknowledge a same-sex marriage if that state has decided that marriage is between a man and a woman.

He also points out that the polygamous Mormons in the 19th century were driven out of the US because the polygamists were married to more than one woman.

He then points out the similarity of forcing the Mormons out of the US because they didn't practice traditional marriage and a judge forcing a state to recognize a marriage that wasn't traditional.

It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Detroitdad 06-14-2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 231975)
He's saying that he thinks the states should decide if gays/lesbians should have the right to be married because it wouldn't be right for a federal judge to force a state to acknowledge a same-sex marriage if that state has decided that marriage is between a man and a woman.

He also points out that the polygamous Mormons in the 19th century were driven out of the US because the polygamists were married to more than one woman.

He then points out the similarity of forcing the Mormons out of the US because they didn't practice traditional marriage and a judge forcing a state to recognize a marriage that wasn't traditional.

It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Except that he is using an example of the persecution of a non-traditional type of marriage to demonstrate that we should keep that same definition and not acknowledge other non-traditional types of marriage. That is what makes it hard to understand,

Venkman 06-14-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 231859)
Interesting stuff:

I don't get what he's trying to say, though.

Basically that he's conflicted over his vote for the ammendment.

il Padrino Ute 06-14-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 232006)
Except that he is using an example of the persecution of a non-traditional type of marriage to demonstrate that we should keep that same definition and not acknowledge other non-traditional types of marriage. That is what makes it hard to understand,

I appreciate you explaining why he's difficult to understand, as I had no problem with what he was saying. I can now see why some would have a difficult time knowing what he was saying.

exUte 06-16-2008 03:09 AM

I would say gay marriage might

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 232006)

qualify as 'non-traditional'. Not to mention un-natural. I won't point out the obvious about what is unnatural re: two males.

SoonerCoug 06-16-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 232190)
qualify as 'non-traditional'. Not to mention un-natural. I won't point out the obvious about what is unnatural re: two males.

What about male dogs that hump each other? Is that unnatural?