cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bargains (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23508)

Jeff Lebowski 10-10-2008 02:52 PM

Bargains

There has to be some incredible bargains out there right now in the stock market. I wish I had more time to do some research.

Anybody scooping up some deals?

SeattleUte 10-10-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 277837)
There has to be some incredible bargains out there right now in the stock market. I wish I had more time to do some research.

Anybody scooping up some deals?

Yeah, I bought some "bargains" in the tech market meltdown only to have them fall 80%. The marked is showing no signs of forming a bottom. No one knows what's a bargain because no one knows what anything is worth anymore. I leave it to the "professionals" (yeah, right), to manage my accounts. I bet there were some bargain hunters that bought some WaMu stock really cheap a month ago. The market teaches that no matter your set backs life can always get A LOT worse.

Jeff Lebowski 10-10-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 277840)
Yeah, I bought some "bargains" in the tech market meltdown only to have them fall 80%. The marked is showing no signs of forming a bottom. No one knows what's a bargain because no one knows what anything is worth anymore. I leave it to the "professionals" (yeah, right), to manage my accounts. I bet there were some bargain hunters that bought some WaMu stock really cheap a month ago. The market teaches that no matter your set backs life can always get A LOT worse.

Yeah, I bought some "bargains" on the way down in that meltdown too. It was a painful lesson. But there are lots of companies that are highly unlikely to lose 95% of their value like the dot-coms did. I have been mainly in cash for a year or two so I have been pretty cautious. I don't know if I will have the guts to scoop up some bargains, but it is tempting.

Tex 10-10-2008 03:26 PM

I just buy index funds, which are lower risk but decent return, and right now is a fantastic long-term buying opportunity.

Jeff Lebowski 10-10-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 277846)
I just buy index funds, which are lower risk but decent return, and right now is a fantastic long-term buying opportunity.

Hmmm.... That's probably the best bet for an amateur like me in a time like this. It's still pretty scary to pull the trigger. But I have to believe that we are going to hit a bottom soon.

SteelBlue 10-10-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 277850)
But I have to believe that we are going to hit a bottom soon.

Buy when there's blood in the streets! We've got to be getting close, but who has the balls to guess?

MikeWaters 10-10-2008 07:43 PM

EWBC. I own it.

Californian bank that caters to Chinese. Chinese always save!