cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is the Church's position on artificial insemination? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24513)

PaloAltoCougar 11-07-2008 03:59 PM

What is the Church's position on artificial insemination?

I know that IVF is fine where the swimmers are donated by the husband and dad-to-be, but what about semen from another source? I know I should know the answer to this, but I don't. I'd assume it's a no, but does anyone know for certain?

exUte 11-07-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 291830)
I know that IVF is fine where the swimmers are donated by the husband and dad-to-be, but what about semen from another source? I know I should know the answer to this, but I don't. I'd assume it's a no, but does anyone know for certain?

See page 75 of the Church Handbook.

PaloAltoCougar 11-07-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 291840)
See page 75 of the Church Handbook.

I do not have a copy.

TripletDaddy 11-07-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Check Book 1. It is in there.

Not prohibited, not necessarily encouraged.

One thing that IS expressly prohibited....singing and dancing in a Church musical production while dressed as the Savior. Also, candles or other open flames inside the chapel, parking/storing your car/rv in the chapel parking lot, participating in state lotteries, and overnight sleepovers in the chapel.

PaloAltoCougar 11-07-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 291844)
One thing that IS expressly prohibited....singing and dancing in a Church musical production while dressed as the Savior.

Crap. Now I'm looking at a rewrite of our ward's road show.

Thanks for the answers, though.

Hazzard 11-07-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Not sure. But your question brought to mind a story I heard about about a lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor in Virginia who ran a fertility clinic. When several women in his affluent stake -- most of whom were fit and attractive and had carefully chosen Adonis-like sperm donors -- started popping out fat, ugly, awkward children who looked a lot like a certain lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor ...

Last I heard, the guy was in jail. But maybe someone from that area of the country can confirm.

TripletDaddy 11-07-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 291847)

We did Savior of the world in our stake this past summer....it was an excellent production.

But I kept thinking of that rule throughout the show. It is humorous, in a bizarre way, to imagine how/why someone would create a singing/dancing role for the Savior in any Church production. It is weird that we even have to include that as a rule in Book 1 and 2.

I trace this rule back to the 80s hip hop movement and a fledgling young LDS composer named Kurt Bestor pens his first opus, "Boyz in Da Stake Center."

exUte 11-07-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzard (Post 291850)
Not sure. But your question brought to mind a story I heard about about a lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor in Virginia who ran a fertility clinic. When several women in his affluent stake -- most of whom were fit and attractive and had carefully chosen Adonis-like sperm donors -- started popping out fat, ugly, awkward children who looked a lot like a certain lurpy, overweight, LDS doctor ...

Last I heard, the guy was in jail. But maybe someone from that area of the country can confirm.

You are correct. Happened 5 years ago? He did go to jail for a very long time.

exUte 11-07-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 291847)

Here's an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86qKQJg3Z8

exUte 11-07-2008 04:47 PM

Here ya go.

Quote:

Artificial Insemination

Artificial insemination with semen from anyone but the husband is strongly discouraged. However, this is a personal matter that ultimately must be left to the judgment of the husband and wife. Responsibility for the decision rests solely upon them.

Artificial insemination of single sisters is not approved. Single sisters who deliberately refuse to follow the counsel of their Church leaders in this matter are subject to Church discipline.