cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ok I'll be the first to say it (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22007)

MikeWaters 08-31-2008 12:21 AM

Ok I'll be the first to say it

OL is overrated
Linebackers are horrible

L at Washington.

All-American 08-31-2008 01:56 AM

That wasn't how a BCS bowl-winning team plays football. Definitely improvements to be made.

Then again, 41-17 is about right.

Not panicking just yet, but we'll need to be better to do what we're setting out to do.

Jeff Lebowski 08-31-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 259570)
That wasn't how a BCS bowl-winning team plays football. Definitely improvements to be made.

Not panicking just yet, but we'll need to be better to do what we're setting out to do.

Just what I would have said.

Don't look now, Mike, but your old buddies at A&M are losing late in the fourth to Arkansas State.

Jeff Lebowski 08-31-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 259571)
Just what I would have said.

Don't look now, Mike, but your old buddies at A&M are losing late in the fourth to Arkansas State.

Final. A&M loses.

ERCougar 08-31-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

That's about how LSU played against a similar team. I think they've won a BCS bowl or two...

Take away two plays and it's 41-3. Not bad for a first outing against a pretty good team.

Cali Coug 08-31-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

It wasn't bad. Coug fans are a fickle bunch. BYU needs to work on ball security. Clearly. Other than that, BYU gave up 7 points on bad protection in the end zone (aren't we all tired of sacks resulting in fumbles by now? Let's protect that blind side, fellas). BYU gave up one big run resulting in 3 points, and they gave up 1 trick play. 17 points, 3 plays. Sure, BYU can't routinely give up 3 plays, but that is all it was tonight. The D was remarkable. UNI's running back is quite good, and BYU shut him down. BYU crushed their QB. Locker can't be happy about that.

BYU's running game was subpar, outside of Unga (which is kind of like saying, other than my million dollars, I really don't have a lot of money). Unga is a beast. Those behind him struggled a lot. I wonder what happened with Fui. He seems to be in the doghouse.

Chambers will take some to the house this year. He is going to be very good. Special teams is 100% better than last year.

Pitta and George will be almost unstoppable. Especially with Reed, Collie, Unga and others on the field who MUST be respected. Our offense was exceptional, except for when we shot ourselves in the foot.

Few penalties tonight, odd for a BYU first game, especially given that the O-line had almost 0 penalties.

Overall, this was a great game for BYU. They now know they have a few spots to shore up (back up RBs need to bring it, Scott Johnson needs some work on D, turnovers, etc.), but they also know they have a remarkable team.

I am happy. Go Cougs.

By the way, UNI's coaching staff should be shot. How dare they continue to put Grace back into the game knowing he was in tremendous pain? He clearly should not have continued on. I hope he isn't seriously hurt. The BYU game doesn't matter at all to UNI, other than bragging rights. It gets them nowhere in terms of winning a title in FCS. Very reckless.

BigFatMeanie 08-31-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 259577)
It wasn't bad. Coug fans are a fickle bunch. BYU needs to work on ball security. Clearly. Other than that, BYU gave up 7 points on bad protection in the end zone (aren't we all tired of sacks resulting in fumbles by now? Let's protect that blind side, fellas). BYU gave up one big run resulting in 3 points, and they gave up 1 trick play. 17 points, 3 plays. Sure, BYU can't routinely give up 3 plays, but that is all it was tonight. The D was remarkable. UNI's running back is quite good, and BYU shut him down. BYU crushed their QB. Locker can't be happy about that.

BYU's running game was subpar, outside of Unga (which is kind of like saying, other than my million dollars, I really don't have a lot of money). Unga is a beast. Those behind him struggled a lot. I wonder what happened with Fui. He seems to be in the doghouse.

Chambers will take some to the house this year. He is going to be very good. Special teams is 100% better than last year.

Pitta and George will be almost unstoppable. Especially with Reed, Collie, Unga and others on the field who MUST be respected. Our offense was exceptional, except for when we shot ourselves in the foot.

Few penalties tonight, odd for a BYU first game, especially given that the O-line had almost 0 penalties.

Overall, this was a great game for BYU. They now know they have a few spots to shore up (back up RBs need to bring it, Scott Johnson needs some work on D, turnovers, etc.), but they also know they have a remarkable team.

I am happy. Go Cougs.

By the way, UNI's coaching staff should be shot. How dare they continue to put Grace back into the game knowing he was in tremendous pain? He clearly should not have continued on. I hope he isn't seriously hurt. The BYU game doesn't matter at all to UNI, other than bragging rights. It gets them nowhere in terms of winning a title in FCS. Very reckless.

Fui didn't qualify academically until yesterday. He'll be back next week.

TripletDaddy 08-31-2008 02:40 AM

If Bronco holds true to form and history repeats itself, of course we will lose....road game at a BCS stadium in an early season non-conference game.

Also, I am traveling to the game, so no need to start messing with tradition and pulling out a win, now.

On a NIU note, when do they rebroadcast the game? Is it on KBYU? Or BYU-TV? we get KBYU down here, not BYU-TV.

For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)

BigFatMeanie 08-31-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 259580)
If Bronco holds true to form and history repeats itself, of course we will lose....road game at a BCS stadium in an early season non-conference game.

Also, I am traveling to the game, so no need to start messing with tradition and pulling out a win, now.

On a NIU note, when do they rebroadcast the game? Is it on KBYU? Or BYU-TV? we get KBYU down here, not BYU-TV.

For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)

The TV cameras at the game had the "HD" logo on them. I thought that was odd seeing as how the MTN doesn't broadcast in HD.

TripletDaddy 08-31-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 259581)
The TV cameras at the game had the "HD" logo on them. I thought that was odd seeing as how the MTN doesn't broadcast in HD.

Perhaps they said "DI" instead?