cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Casting swine before pearls (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17070)

FMCoug 02-25-2008 02:15 AM

Casting swine before pearls

So I fear that me posting in this forum on this board is pretty funny but here goes. As many of you know, I am an obese man. As in 100+ lbs overweight. Well I finally went and got a physical and at 37 things are getting scary if I don't shape up. So I got started in earnest this last week on a fitness / weight loss program.

What I am doing:

1. Eating a high protein, reasonably low-fat diet of about 2000 calories / day, separated into 5-5 meals.

2. Walking 5 miles / day on the treadmill. Missed one day because my after the first two my tendonitis in my left foot flared up and I literally couldn't walk. But I've done 15 miles since then so maybe I"ve gotten used to it ... here's hoping.

3. Lifting 2-3 times / week.

4. Shooting for 150oz + of water per day.

According to the online calculators, my Basal Metabolic Rate is about 3000 calories. So between the workouts and the 2000 calories diet I'd think I should be able to consistent drop 2-3 lbs a week.

Any advice from you gurus? Or you can just laugh and move on if you like.

Archaea 02-25-2008 02:20 AM

First follow medical advice over internet advice.

Second congrats for starting.

Third, it must be a lifestyle change, so do things which you can commit to doing in the future.

Fourth, pick activities which you will enjoy but tend not to injure. Running is a great exercise but tends to injure.

However, races of any kind help one stay motivated to train. Fun is the key and variety helps one keep it fun.

Set the example for your family and save your own life please.

Jeff Lebowski 02-25-2008 02:21 AM

Sounds like a good plan. I am especially glad to see you lifting. I started lifting (consistently) 2.5 years ago and I am amazed what a difference it made. The increased muscle mass and improved muscle tone will increase your metabolism. You will feel much better also.

danimal 02-25-2008 02:45 AM

Good for you, FM. Good luck.

SteelBlue 02-25-2008 03:12 AM

That's a very solid program. It'll work.

MikeWaters 02-25-2008 03:15 AM

ride a bike to work.

ute4ever 02-25-2008 04:05 AM

Well I've never lost 100+ lbs, but I did lose 30 once, and I can tell you that the first week is the hardest. If you stick to your program, it won't take long for the hunger pains to completely go away, and healthy foods eventually start to taste better than junk foods.

FMCoug 02-25-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 188763)
ride a bike to work.

40 miles each way?

TheSizzle36 02-25-2008 12:07 PM

Best of luck. I'm trying to drop weight again and it's tough... especially now that I am working more.

But here is a song that you can use as motivation:

(I haven't watched the whole video, but at least listen to the song... it has a great message)

Archaea 02-25-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 188779)
40 miles each way?

I'd be jealous. That'd be two hours each way.