cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   anyone doing the Ironman in Louisville, KY this weekend? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21894)

MikeWaters 08-27-2008 05:50 PM

anyone doing the Ironman in Louisville, KY this weekend?

eom

Archaea 08-27-2008 05:59 PM

Only an idiot goes to Louisville in August. We talked to several locals here and everybody just laughed at the thought.

MikeWaters 08-27-2008 06:01 PM

only an idiot goes to Lubbock, period.

Archaea 08-27-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 257955)
only an idiot goes to Lubbock, period.

It's a great, classic race with its Twentieth Anniversary coming up. Many of the notables in the industry participate in Lubbock.

Louisville is a newbie race with no history.

Talk to me when Louisville has twenty years of Ironman history, like Canada, Kona or NZ.

The best Ironman races in North America are Canada, Lake Placid, Wisconsin, with Couer-d'Alene being an up and comer.

Arizona is okay and Florida produces fast times. Louisville hasn't really be received well ---- yet.

It has muggy, hot temperatures. I'll research the course.

MikeWaters 08-27-2008 06:12 PM

Lubbock is flat and dry, I take it. Ideal for fast times.

Otherwise an awful place.

Archaea 08-27-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 257962)
Lubbock is flat and dry, I take it. Ideal for fast times.

Otherwise an awful place.

Lubbock is a place where you go to race but not to visit the locale. And surprisingly, it has a slightly hilly ride, considered one of the more difficult rides in the 70.3s, and a very hilly run, one of the slower runs in the distance. So although the surrounding terrain is awful, the race terrain presents challenges for most athletes.

The weather frequently presents a challenge.

Runner Coug 08-27-2008 07:43 PM

I'm not, but I'm going to start training on Monday for my first Ironman...two years from now. My buddy and I are trying to decide between Coeur d'Alene or Tempe in 2010. My plan is to train over the winter and do a few sprint and Olympic tris next year, and maybe the 70.3 in Boise. Then take a shot at the full a year later.

I signed up for swimming lessons starting next week, I've got to get better before I even attempt an open water swim.

MikeWaters 08-27-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 258033)
I'm not, but I'm going to start training on Monday for my first Ironman...two years from now. My buddy and I are trying to decide between Coeur d'Alene or Tempe in 2010. My plan is to train over the winter and do a few sprint and Olympic tris next year, and maybe the 70.3 in Boise. Then take a shot at the full a year later.

I signed up for swimming lessons starting next week, I've got to get better before I even attempt an open water swim.

swimming is not too tough. I can swim 50 yards now without feeling like I'm going to die. :)

Runner Coug 08-27-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 258037)
swimming is not too tough. I can swim 50 yards now without feeling like I'm going to die. :)

Endurance wise, I am at a level which would most likely be considered slightly above a beginning swimmer. It's going to take me a long time to build up enough to attempt a swim of any significant length. Technique and form wise, I'm a disaster.