cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rules (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rules (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1960)

JohnnyLingo 04-24-2006 06:33 PM

Rules

1. Personal attacks are tolerated.
A. Unless the personal attack is directed at a loved one of a board member and not directly at the one you're attacking.
a. Unless the loved one being attacked is a family member of someone generally disliked on the board and
1. The attack is based on facts from as long as 26 years ago and
a. the attack is rather mild according to a majority of the posters.
2. Grapevine posts, while technically allowed, are to be met with no real response, as his viewpoint is considered hate speech.

Phew. This is getting complicated. I'll add more rules as I come across them.

MikeWaters 04-24-2006 06:37 PM

Johnny, there are worse things than being a kid who was made fun of because his dad was a seminary teacher.

my parents were the church custodians for a while. that makes for great times with the other boys at church, and when your friends parents ask what your parents do for a living!

JohnnyLingo 04-24-2006 06:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. My post has been edited to reflect this new information.

MikeWaters 04-24-2006 07:21 PM

out of curiosity, do you think that calling someone a mullah is an attack? Isn't that what this is all about? that someone thinks your dad was a mullah seminary teacher?

If he were called "strict and dogmatic" would that be a personal attack?

JohnnyLingo 04-24-2006 09:03 PM

I believe the words were more in the neighborhood of "self righteous blowhard".

But since the post I'm trying to remember was lost in the Great Migration of Last Weekend, I couldn't tell you exactly.

Maybe you can help me, though, since I have reason to believe Padrino's whining regarding his 26 year grudge against my dad took place mostly in the Cool Guyz Club.

All-American 04-24-2006 09:11 PM

I never have had anything against JohnnyLingo. I'm frankly surprised to see the amount of venom being spewed at him. I don't particularly endorse his reaction to the reception he's received around here, but neither do I support the actions that have provoked it.

Honestly, folks, let's grow up a bit.

tooblue 04-24-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American
I never have had anything against JohnnyLingo. I'm frankly surprised to see the amount of venom being spewed at him. I don't particularly endorse his reaction to the reception around here, but I neither do I support the actions that have provoked it.

Honestly, folks, let's grow up a bit.

Ditto ... I second the motion

DirtyHippieUTE 04-24-2006 09:21 PM

I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the fact that some of the flack directed at lingo was due to "popularity" but I will offer this little bit of input on personal attacks.

I'm not suggesting there be a grading curve, but here are some points to consider when deciding if a post is "over the line."

1- The relative innocence of the subject of the attack.
2- The sancity of the relationship between the poster and the 3rd party.
3- The relative offensiveness of the post itself.

Examples...

A slam at Lingo's dad... 1: What did Lingo's dad do to provoke that? 2: Family is usually a "sacred" relationship. 3: Offensive... How bad was what they said? (could go either way)

A slam at Fus' girlfriend... 1: What did she do? 2: Wife/girlfriend is pretty touchy. 3: Whore attached to a girl is almost always over the line.

A slam at Hoya for being a flaming liberal... 1: he is a liberal. 2: It's board persona vs. board persona (not very sacred). 3: Flaming liberal isn't all that bad.

Just my thoughts...

tooblue 04-24-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

A slam at Fus' girlfriend... 1: What did she do? 2: Wife/girlfriend is pretty touchy. 3: Whore attached to a girl is almost always over the line.

Such a slam is beyond reprehensible.

All-American 04-24-2006 10:14 PM

But what do we do when a post is "over the line"?

I am in favor of letting anybody foolish enough to post offensive material about another member of the board reap his own rewards. If he wishes to expose himself as a heartless bigot, so be it. If not, let him exercise self restraint and/or edit his statements.