cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Writer's Guild strike (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13685)

JohnnyLingo 11-08-2007 11:50 PM

Writer's Guild strike

Anyone else following this closely? Eric Snider reports shows like The Office and 24 will go into reruns as early as two weeks from now.

http://www.ericdsnider.com/blog/2007...lypse-deepens/

This could have a major impact on TV networks... they'll lose viewers after a few weeks of reruns during this season.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 12:13 AM

I dont know what is more shocking and embarassing....that you read Eric Snider at all.....or that you read Eric Snider for actual news.

To answer your question, the Strike coverage in SoCal is like the fire coverage. It is the lead news story and updates are given all the time, simply because it is much larger than seing episodes of the office. No filming means everyone in the industry is out of work....caterers, security guards, make up artists, grips, stange hands, runners, costumers, etc....The industry touches almost everything down here, so it is big news.

What does Eric Snider say about the war in Iraq or the 2008 Elections?

JohnnyLingo 11-09-2007 12:30 AM

I don't read him for news... he just has a blog I read every once in a while, and he happened to cover a news item today.

But thanks for the slam, Triplet. You're catching on to the culture over here.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 147805)
I don't read him for news... he just has a blog I read every once in a while, and he happened to cover a news item today.

But thanks for the slam, Triplet. You're catching on to the culture over here.

I intercourse with everyone equally and without discrimination. I am the Fresno State of slammers....."anyone, anytime, anywhere."

When you cite Eric Snider as your news source for the potentially impactful issue of lost Office episodes, you give me good material to work with.

So do you just read Eric Snider or do you also check out Weird Al's blog before you report on the news?

woot 11-09-2007 12:44 AM

I actually read Snider's stuff sometimes. He can be pretty funny when he reviews poor movies. His expose of press junkets was good stuff too.

il Padrino Ute 11-09-2007 01:00 AM

I'm curious why anyone who is not in that industry should care about the writers strike.

woot 11-09-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 147816)
I'm curious why anyone who is not in that industry should care about the writers strike.

My DVR is only set to record new episodes. :(

but seriously, I don't care that much, and feel like the writers have a legit complaint. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not actively following the story.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 147816)

Two reasons.

One, Mostly because if you watch TV, it will likely affect your shows. All shows are unionized, so if you watch TV the requires writing (news, sports, and reality excepted), that means no new shows are being written. Most shows are only filmed, or "in the can," a few weeks in advance. This means that shows will start going to re-runs soon. Live shows like Leno and Conan are already in re-runs.

Second, as I stated above, locally in SoCal, it puts thousands of people out of work....not rich, grubby Hollywood types....all the local business that rely on the industry to survive. Even small mom and pops in hollywood like dry cleaners that have their entire business from a nearby studio will go out of business if the strike lingers for too long. Last time, the strike lasted 22 weeks. Ouch.

Third, Eric Snider thinks it is important. Good enough for me.

il Padrino Ute 11-09-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 147817)
My DVR is only set to record new episodes. :(

but seriously, I don't care that much, and feel like the writers have a legit complaint. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out but I'm not actively following the story.

What little I've hears, I agree that the writers have a good reason for it. I guess I'm just in the minority when it comes to fretting about it, as most of what I watch isn't written by those who are on strike.

TripletDaddy 11-09-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 147820)
What little I've hears, I agree that the writers have a good reason for it. I guess I'm just in the minority when it comes to fretting about it, as most of what I watch isn't written by those who are on strike.

I hate it because it causes annoying traffic on the West side and in Hollywood. Picketers and union busters and media hanging out all over the place.

Fortunately for me, my favorite shows are unaffected: So You Think You Can Dance, Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?, and The Biggest Loser.