cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A simple quote (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24596)

MikeWaters 11-10-2008 05:02 PM

A simple quote

"I say let the national solons amend the Constitution, to punish and insult and degrade this little handful of men who are rapidly passing away, and when they shall see the magnitude of their acts compared with the insignificance of the cause, they and their historians will laugh at their folly, and write them down asses in the broadest sense."

MikeWaters 11-10-2008 05:27 PM

Quote is from Joseph F. Smith, President of the LDS church, in 1904, speaking against a proposed Constitutional amendment that would ban polygamy.

In a church that is ever-changing and adapting, in 2006, the LDS church would support (and request support from its members) essentially the very same constitutional amendment that Joseph F. Smith opposed.

Rarely do we have such an example of original Mormonism colliding with neo-Mormonism.

Tex 11-10-2008 05:41 PM

It does seem that the magnitude of passing a constitutional amendment to block a practice forsaken 15 years earlier by a relatively isolated group constituting roughly .5% of the US population might count as somewhat out of proportion.

I agree with Joseph F.

SoCalCoug 11-10-2008 05:45 PM

I'm going to find a way to quote that in a sacrament meeting talk someday, so I can quote a prophet calling someone "asses".

jay santos 11-10-2008 05:49 PM

9 times out of 10, Neo-Mormonism is better.

ute4ever 11-10-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 293026)
I'm going to find a way to quote that in a sacrament meeting talk someday, so I can quote a prophet calling someone "asses".

Additionally, copy Elder Maxwell's Oct 1976 conference intro:

Quote:

Now may I speak, not to the slackers in the Kingdom, but to those who carry their own load and more

il Padrino Ute 11-10-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 293030)
Additionally, copy Elder Maxwell's Oct 1976 conference intro:

If we're going the apostle route, we may as well start quoting J. Golden Kimball.

Clark Addison 11-10-2008 06:01 PM

When I was at BYU, Marvin J Ashton told a story about when he called someone a Jackass, which is pretty mild, but still amused and/or shocked many of the listeners.

SoCalCoug 11-10-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 293043)
When I was at BYU, Marvin J Ashton told a story about when he called someone a Jackass, which is pretty mild, but still amused and/or shocked many of the listeners.

His grandson had me pull down my pants in front of him when I was a kid.

He was my doctor.