cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OK smart guys, explain this to me..... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512)

ewth8tr 04-15-2008 12:54 AM

OK smart guys, explain this to me.....

Yesterday in EQ, the recently called EQ pres was giving the lesson on baptism and made the statement that baptism washing away our sins is one of the biggest false doctrines in the church. He said that be baptized does not wash away our sins, it's the confirmation and receiving the holy ghost that actually absolves our sins. a couple of his friends agreed and he went on. Any one agree with that and, is so, could you tell me the logic behind that?

il Padrino Ute 04-15-2008 01:07 AM

I've never heard that.

Doesn't the 4th Article of Faith tell us that your EQ President has no idea of which he speaks?

You ought to bring it up next week.

ewth8tr 04-15-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 208750)
I've never heard that.

Doesn't the 4th Article of Faith tell us that your EQ President has no idea of which he speaks?

You ought to bring it up next week.

yeah, those were my those as well, but I had to run to catch a train because i had to work yesterday, so I didn't want to make the class go over.

Jeff Lebowski 04-15-2008 01:56 AM

Since they are always done in tandem, who cares?

TripletDaddy 04-15-2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 208748)
Yesterday in EQ, the recently called EQ pres was giving the lesson on baptism and made the statement that baptism washing away our sins is one of the biggest false doctrines in the church. He said that be baptized does not wash away our sins, it's the confirmation and receiving the holy ghost that actually absolves our sins. a couple of his friends agreed and he went on. Any one agree with that and, is so, could you tell me the logic behind that?

I dont know about you's guys, but I believe in baptism by immersion FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (caps added to denote e-shouting).

I also believe that the laying on of hands if for the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. (more e-shouting).

I could be way off on those beliefs, though. Admittedly, I am speaking off the cuff.

Did your EQ instructor provide any scriptural or anecdotal basis for his theory?

jay santos 04-15-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 208748)

Do not agree. But I would say baptism and GoHG can't really be seperated, so I guess you can say both together, but you'd be more wrong than right saying it's GoHG over baptism as the ordinance associated with watching away of sin.

jay santos 04-15-2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 208751)
Sanctification brings about the remission of sins. Sanctification is a process of the Holy Ghost. That is probably what he meant. But neither ordinance alone, baptism or confirmation, absolves any sins automatically.

Please explain. I completely disagree.

ewth8tr 04-15-2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 208762)
I dont know about you's guys, but I believe in baptism by immersion FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (caps added to denote e-shouting).

I also believe that the laying on of hands if for the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. (more e-shouting).

I could be way off on those beliefs, though. Admittedly, I am speaking off the cuff.

Did your EQ instructor provide any scriptural or anecdotal basis for his theory?

Nope, he started out the lesson asking what was one of the most common false doctrines in the church today and gave that answer, then just went right into the lesson out of the manual. It was pretty odd.

Surfah 04-15-2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 208751)
Sanctification brings about the remission of sins. Sanctification is a process of the Holy Ghost. That is probably what he meant. But neither ordinance alone, baptism or confirmation, absolves any sins automatically.

This is my understanding as well.