cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This place will still exist (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24721)

MikeWaters 11-14-2008 11:59 PM

This place will still exist

For the very small band of travelers that may have elected to stay here, I salute you.

We will continue to soldier on. I am not 'taken unaware' of these developments. I was informed of them by a source that will remain anonymous, and took no action either in favor or against them.

I have a particular, unique, singular vision for this site. Particular, unique, singular visions don't happen by committee. They start with a single person.

Having said that, I've always had a history of collaborating with people here. I've always had a history of putting other peoples' needs before my own.

Evidence of this is in my allowing advertisement for a 'competing site', which was posted without a single person asking me if it was ok.

In a sense, this new offshoot site 'CUF' is a continuation of my old ideas. As they say, the best form of flattery is imitation. But I will not be a participant there.

I have plans for THIS site, which I have been mulling over for many months. I am in discussions with the 'Assistant to the Regional Manager' as we formulate how to put these ideas into action.

You know, I posted earlier that I only wanted people here that are willing to suffer. I really did mean that. But I didn't mean "suffer" as some of you may have thought. I mean "suffer" in the way of building something that is a radical departure from the typical message board. I didn't think it would be possible to make these changes with our current construction and membership.

If, after all this time, in getting to know me and my ideas, you believe that I might have something to offer, that will get you excited about what is possible *in life*, then stick around.

If that is only me and Archaea, then that will be plenty to get started. We invented the concepts around "Cougarguard", and we are inventing "Cougarguard 2.0" right now. The first order of business will be to see who is still around, and that will give us an idea of our resources.

I'm very excited about this and hope you will join me.

Archaea 11-15-2008 12:07 AM

The new ideas will have meaning and value, at least for me, and more probably for Mike. It is worthwhile for me.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295200)
The new ideas will have meaning and value, at least for me, and more probably for Mike. It is worthwhile for me.

Thanks for being a true friend. But if you decide this is not for you, your gesture of support will never change that fact.

SoCalCoug 11-15-2008 01:02 AM

I'm very interested to see what form CougarGuard 2.0 will take. Assuming I'm "intellectual" enough to take part.

BarbaraGordon 11-15-2008 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295197)
I have plans for THIS site, which I have been mulling over for many months. I am in discussions with the 'Assistant to the Regional Manager' as we formulate how to put these ideas into action.
If, after all this time, in getting to know me and my ideas, you believe that I might have something to offer, that will get you excited about what is possible *in life*, then stick around.

Mike, you and Archaea are swell and all, but has it occurred to you to ask your users what they might like this community to be?

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 295223)
Mike, you and Archaea are swell and all, but has it occurred to you to ask your users what they might like this community to be?

I've heard that there are fictional books are written by committee, as a kind of experiment. I haven't heard that they are any good.

Now, I'm asking a few people to trust me. And be patient. Think of me as "expedition leader."

This is a big, bad internet, and people can and do vote with their feet.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295224)
I've heard that there are fictional books are written by committee, as a kind of experiment. I haven't heard that they are any good.

Now, I'm asking a few people to trust me. And be patient. Think of me as "expedition leader."

This is a big, bad internet, and people can and do vote with their feet.

So after making haste and radical decisions as well as non-sensical posts the last few days you expect people to trust you? Thats kind of like the child molester that creeps in to bed with the little girl night after night and then one day decides to change his ways and tells her he just wants to cuddle and that she should just trust him.

MikeWaters 11-15-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295226)
So after making haste and radical decisions as well as non-sensical posts the last few days you expect people to trust you? Thats kind of like the child molester that creeps in to bed with the little girl night after night and then one day decides to change his ways and tells her he just wants to cuddle and that she should just trust him.

It all had a purpose. You can't see it now, and probably never will.

You've probably never met a more a deliberate, cautious, careful person in your life.

Follow your inner compass. I'm following mine.

And while I think this had to happen, trust me, it's not easy for me. It hurts.

cougjunkie 11-15-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 295227)
It all had a purpose. You can't see it now, and probably never will.

You've probably never met a more a deliberate, cautious, careful person in your life.

Follow your inner compass. I'm following mine.

And while I think this had to happen, trust me, it's not easy for me. It hurts.

If it was to drive away Seattleute then I am on board.

SeattleUte 11-15-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 295228)
If it was to drive away Seattleute then I am on board.

We used to be friends. In the SeattleUte threads you used to defend my name. But anyone who criticizes BYU sports is junkie's enemy.