cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Literae Humaniores (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   recommendations for humorous fiction (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13839)

OrangeUte 11-13-2007 02:12 AM

recommendations for humorous fiction

i am in need of a finding a humorous laugh out loud kind of book. preferrably something fiction, but i'm not picky. any suggestions?

MikeWaters 11-13-2007 02:17 AM

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

creekster 11-13-2007 02:21 AM

A Confederacy of Dunces. Seriously.

FarrahWaters 11-13-2007 02:21 AM

I was just talking to Marsupial the other day about Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Very, very funny.

creekster 11-13-2007 02:22 AM

Here's another one:

"How to start your own religion and still be home by 5"

By SeattleUte, the lauded author of the well-known self-help book "What Shall I Do?"

TripletDaddy 11-13-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149489)
i am in need of a finding a humorous laugh out loud kind of book. preferrably something fiction, but i'm not picky. any suggestions?

"Letters From a Nut" by Ted L Nancy.

I basically had to stop reading it on the airplane because my stomach was hurting so bad from laughing. I was finding new ways to embarrass my wife as I laughed my way out loud through the book. I even had tears coming down.

Ted L Nancy is a fictitious author who has published a few things.

The book is a compendium of actual letters Ted has written to businesses, hotels, restaurants, Fortune 500 companies, etc....the letters are ridiculous, sometimes incoherent, and complete nonsense.....the humor is in the actual responses he gets from these companies.

It is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

FMCoug 11-13-2007 02:34 AM

"The Book of Mormon"

Sincerely,

SeattleUte

creekster 11-13-2007 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 149502)
"Letters From a Nut" by Ted L Nancy.

I basically had to stop reading it on the airplane because my stomach was hurting so bad from laughing. I was finding new ways to embarrass my wife as I laughed my way out loud through the book. I even had tears coming down.

Ted L Nancy is a fictitious author who has published a few things.

The book is a compendium of actual letters Ted has written to businesses, hotels, restaurants, Fortune 500 companies, etc....the letters are ridiculous, sometimes incoherent, and complete nonsense.....the humor is in the actual responses he gets from these companies.

It is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

Ted is supposedly Jerry Seinfeld. There are a couple of volumes of these and they are indeed pretty funny.

woot 11-13-2007 03:07 AM

This is probably obvious, but all of Douglas Adams' HGttG books are must-reads if you're after the funny.

hyrum 11-13-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeUte (Post 149489)

There are some good volumes of compilations of Dave Berry columns.

P.J. O'Rourke has some good books that are funny and give an interesting slant to things. The specific political examples are a bit dated now, but I enjoyed Parlaiment of Whores.