cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   pie (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24828)

RedHeadGal 11-24-2008 02:53 PM

pie

Talk to me about your Thanksgiving desserts. I'm channeling my inner pastry chef this week (which is not difficult, as I channel her often) and planning desserts for Thursday. The dinner where I will be will include 8 adults and a few children.

Do you like pie only or other kids of desserts? How many kinds do you like to eat? If you have several choices, do you end up with a little of each, or do you stick with just one?

And don't tell me you are too full to care. That kind of attitude cannot be condoned.

MikeWaters 11-24-2008 03:03 PM

I will eat all kinds of pie.

I like apple, cherry, rhubarb, rhubarb/strawberry, pecan.

Not as big a fan of mincemeat.

Bored with pumpkin pie.

Lime and Lemon pies don't seem to go well with Thanksgiving fare. Chocolate, banana pudding, coconut also a bad choice.

marsupial 11-24-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 296110)
I will eat all kinds of pie.

I like apple, cherry, rhubarb, rhubarb/strawberry, pecan.

Not as big a fan of mincemeat.

Bored with pumpkin pie.

Lime and Lemon pies don't seem to go well with Thanksgiving fare. Chocolate, banana pudding, coconut also a bad choice.

It's a good thing we are not having Thanksgiving together, because you've got the pie thing all wrong.

I am not a big fan of pastry crusts. I always make a dark chocolate mousse pie with an oreo cookie crust. (I think I may have made this for you and Farrah once.) I also like to make a coconut cream pie. I make the crust with vanilla cookies, pecans and coconut. I make coconut pudding from scratch--none of this Jell-O pudding crap. And of course I put real whipped cream and toasted coconut on the top.

I also really like pumpkin pie, but I mostly dig out the pumpkin and leave the crust. Farrah makes a mean key lime, too. Mmmm.

MikeWaters 11-24-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 296116)
It's a good thing we are not having Thanksgiving together, because you've got the pie thing all wrong.

I am not a big fan of pastry crusts. I always make a dark chocolate mousse pie with an oreo cookie crust. (I think I may have made this for you and Farrah once.) I also like to make a coconut cream pie. I make the crust with vanilla cookies, pecans and coconut. I make coconut pudding from scratch--none of this Jell-O pudding crap. And of course I put real whipped cream and toasted coconut on the top.

I also really like pumpkin pie, but I mostly dig out the pumpkin and leave the crust. Farrah makes a mean key lime, too. Mmmm.

I'm sorry, but you also think making out with Danimal is a good time.

Disgusting!

RedHeadGal 11-24-2008 04:15 PM

Pumpkin pie is --at the very least-- a nod to tradition. Plus, I quite like it. I make a great pumpkin pie, and whoever passes over it because it's boring--that's more for me later.

I think there should be chocolate. I find that chocolate is a favorite of many, many people (if not me). I was thinking of doing a flourless choc cake and a black bottom peanut butter mousse pie, which also has chocolate.

I'm going to do something apple, but it won't be a typical apple pie. Maybe a tart, and probably with frangipane or something.

That's four kinds already. . . but I need something fruity. Lemon or berries, or both. Blueberry might be nice.

marsupial 11-24-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 296118)

Disgusting!

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

il Padrino Ute 11-24-2008 04:36 PM

Any and all pies are appropriate not only for Thanksgiving, but for any of the other 364 days each year. (And yes, I refuse to recognize Feb. 29th as a day.)

My favorite is lemon meringue... that is, my mom's lemon meringue.

As for how much pie there should be, my rule is that the gross weight of the pies should equal the gross weight of the rest of the Thanksgiving meal.

FarrahWaters 11-24-2008 04:52 PM

Marupial's chocolate mousse pie is sooo good. But to quote Mars. herself, how can you go wrong with chocolate and cream?

I think the flourless choc cake that RHG mentioned also sounds wonderful. I made one for my sister's birthday this year for the first time, and it was surprisingly easy and delicious. I also love lemony desserts, so I might make a lemon curd tart with berries.

Or for something completely different, you could do cream puffs with different flavors of choux cream.

MikeWaters 11-24-2008 04:53 PM

on the first read, I thought "flourless" was a French word.

BarbaraGordon 11-24-2008 05:15 PM

I'm very strict when it comes to pie. I only ever eat apple pie.

Flash won't eat any pie. He only likes carrot cake. Whoever heard of a carrot cake at Thanksgiving?

The kids won't eat pie. The one likes cookies and the other likes cheesecake.

So by the time everybody's staisfied with the selections, our family of four ends up with enough dessert for thirty people.

FarrahWaters 11-24-2008 05:26 PM

btw, I'm jealous of all of you. We always just have pumpkin pie made with the least amount of sugar possible.

Venkman 11-24-2008 07:31 PM

I can pretty much live on pumpkin pie. Not just any pumpkin pie though, as some is freaking nasty. It has to be made with Libby's pumpkin pie mix and have homemade whip cream. NO COOL WHIP!!

RedHeadGal 11-24-2008 08:14 PM

Farrah, I like the cream puff idea. I don't think I'll have time to take that on this week, but it reminds me it's time to get those back into my dessert rotations.

marsupial 11-24-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 296137)
btw, I'm jealous of all of you. We always just have pumpkin pie made with the least amount of sugar possible.

Almost as bad as your peanut butter sandwich story.

FarrahWaters 11-24-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 296182)
Almost as bad as your peanut butter sandwich story.

No, even my mom knows better than to try to healthify Thanksgiving. She makes at least three different pies. It is my in-laws Thanksgiving I speak of. Last year, my MIL cut out some of the sugar to the pumpkin pie, and I think was adding honey instead. The sweet potatoes are steamed in their skins (more nutrition in the skins), and the stove top stuffing has extra veggies added in.

Levin 11-24-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 296220)
No, even my mom knows better than to try to healthify Thanksgiving. She makes at least three different pies. It is my in-laws Thanksgiving I speak of. Last year, my MIL cut out some of the sugar to the pumpkin pie, and I think was adding honey instead. The sweet potatoes are steamed in their skins (more nutrition in the skins), and the stove top stuffing has extra veggies added in.

While the food sounds unappetizing, the way the attractive sentiment was carried out is somehow charming.

marsupial 11-25-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 296220)
Last year, my MIL cut out some of the sugar to the pumpkin pie, and I think was adding honey instead.

That's when I say, why even bother? I mean, if you're going to have pie, have pie.

danimal 11-25-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 296118)

Disgusting!

Like we haven't made out!

MikeWaters 11-25-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 296235)
Like we haven't made out!

It was marsupial who claimed my opinion wasn't informed!

danimal 11-25-2008 01:09 AM

Marsupial makes mean chocolate mousse and coconut cream pie. I never was into key lime pie until I tried Farrah's -- delicious. Pumpkin is fine. Apple and strawberry are pretty good, but not great. Pecan is delicious without the pecans. Most pie crusts just aren't that good though. that's why cakes are usually superior.

ute4ever 11-25-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 296128)
I only ever eat apple pie.

Hot apple crisp?

BarbaraGordon 11-25-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 296244)
Hot apple crisp?

Absolutely. Apple is the only kind of pie I eat, but I have an EOC policy when it comes to apple-based desserts.

danimal 11-25-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 296244)
Hot apple crisp?

Hmmm, apple crisp is much better than apple pie. The crust and topping make all the difference.

il Padrino Ute 11-25-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 296251)
Absolutely. Apple is the only kind of pie I eat, but I have an EOC policy when it comes to apple-based desserts.

You need to partake of my Dad's dutch oven peach cobbler and you'll never limit yourself to just apple pie.

FarrahWaters 11-25-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 296234)
That's when I say, why even bother? I mean, if you're going to have pie, have pie.

Yes! That's what I say too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 296237)
Most pie crusts just aren't that good though. that's why cakes are usually superior.

Wow, you and Marsupial are just a couple of pate brisee snobs. Is that what living in France will do to you?

For those that don't like pumpkin pie with crust, you could try this. http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/r...mpkin-pudding/ I had to make a last minute dessert to bring to choir on Sunday. I know, it has pudding mix in it, but it turned out pretty good. Everyone said they'd rather eat it than pumpkin pie. It had a lot of cloves in it, so decrease that if you don't like it too spicy.

RedHeadGal 11-25-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 296300)
Yes! That's what I say too.

Wow, you and Marsupial are just a couple of pate brisee snobs. Is that what living in France will do to you?

For those that don't like pumpkin pie with crust, you could try this. http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/r...mpkin-pudding/ I had to make a last minute dessert to bring to choir on Sunday. I know, it has pudding mix in it, but it turned out pretty good. Everyone said they'd rather eat it than pumpkin pie. It had a lot of cloves in it, so decrease that if you don't like it too spicy.

I also don't understand why no love for the pate brisee (and I wish I knew how to make accent marks). Last year, my shell was full before I had poured all the pumpkin filling into the crust, so I just poured the excess into a ramekin and baked it like the custard that it is. It was delicious straight-up like that. So you could just bake it without the crust at all--but that doesn't seem right to me.

I also will make a savory pie--leek and gruyere quiche.

marsupial 11-25-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 296300)

Pie crust is just flour, butter (or worse, Crisco), salt and water. What's tasty about that?

Clark Addison 11-25-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 296309)
Pie crust is just flour, butter (or worse, Crisco), salt and water. What's tasty about that?

The butter part.

bigpiney 11-25-2008 05:13 PM

We made a great cranberry pie one year from the Lion house cookbook. Went really well with thanksgiving and was different than the normal fare.

marsupial 11-25-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 296325)
We made a great cranberry pie one year from the Lion house cookbook. Went really well with thanksgiving and was different than the normal fare.

What was the pie like? I dig on cranberries, but have never had a cranberry pie.

bigpiney 11-25-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 296326)
What was the pie like? I dig on cranberries, but have never had a cranberry pie.

I can't really remember, it has been a few years, but it was really good.

I'll check with my wife try and locate the recipe.

RedHeadGal 12-04-2008 03:38 PM

one week later, and I still have pie left. I think I'm through with pie for a little while.

NorCalCoug 12-11-2008 06:21 PM

My favorite is 'Sour Cream Apple Pie'.

marsupial 12-12-2008 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 296688)
one week later, and I still have pie left. I think I'm through with pie for a little while.

Yes, and this must be why you look like your itty bitty redheaded avatar. All pie in my house is devoured in a 24 hour period.