cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   on writing (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25027)

RedHeadGal 12-18-2008 06:02 PM

on writing

A recent conversation with a colleague went something like this:

Him: "When I edit your work, I'm making it better, not just making stylistic changes."

Me: "But I don't agree you are making it better. You fill it with these affectations I would never write. You do things like bury the subjects of sentences behind long introductory phrases."

Him: "You may be talking about good writing in other fields. This is legal writing."

Is this just a generational problem? In my mind, good writing transcends the professional field. Why do some professions or genres of writing become so firmly entrenched in certain styles and affectations that people who have been using them for years become convinced that their writing is "good" just because the rhetorical style matches the rhetorical style that has been used before?

Archaea 12-18-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 297607)

Him: "When I edit your work, I'm making it better, not just making stylistic changes."

Me: "But I don't agree you are making it better. You fill it with these affectations I would never write. You do things like bury the subjects of sentences behind long introductory phrases."

Him: "You may be talking about good writing in other fields. This is legal writing."

Is this just a generational problem? In my mind, good writing transcends the professional field. Why do some professions or genres of writing become so firmly entrenched in certain styles and affectations that people who have been using them for years become convinced that their writing is "good" just because the rhetorical style matches the rhetorical style that has been used before?

Justice Cardozo would have been a good writer in any field, so your editor is a dufus. The only aspect of legal writing which tends to defy other good writing is the tendency to shy away from elegant variation, as ambiguity is usually a bad thing, but in artistic writing it is often desired.

landpoke 12-18-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 297607)

I think all lawyers except for Archaea are insecure about what they charge and thus feel the need to "lawyer-up" their writing to impress their non-lawyer clients.

Archaea 12-18-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 297610)
I think most lawyers are insecure about what they charge and thus feel the need to "lawyer-up" their writing to impress their non-lawyer clients.

I am quite secure but believe I undercharge.

landpoke 12-18-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 297613)
I am quite secure but believe I undercharge.

By using "most" instead of "all" I believe I accounted for you.

Archaea 12-18-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 297614)
By using "most" instead of "all" I believe I accounted for you.

I know but I wanted everybody else do know which one you accounted for.

landpoke 12-18-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 297615)
I know but I wanted everybody else do know which one you accounted for.

I edited my original post. You are, of course, correct and there's no point in beating around the bush simply to spare some other lawyer's feelings.

BarbaraGordon 12-18-2008 09:02 PM

Editing is a rare talent. A good editor won't infuse personal preferences into the writer's work. Nor will he make stylistic changes. A good editor should be reading for mechanics, coherence, and continuity.

So to answer your question: No, I don't think this is a generational difference in identifying good writing. I think this guy simply has a fundamental misunderstanding of what proofreading is.

MikeWaters 12-18-2008 09:24 PM

I think I can relate to how MacArthur must have felt as he got the first reports that his entire Air Force had been destroyed by the Japanese surprise attack, and that retreat and defeat was essentially unescapable.

This was after reading the first chapter of SU's book and thinking about his editor.

Thhuuubbbbbbtttttt!!!!!!!

MikeWaters 12-19-2008 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 297629)
I think I can relate to how MacArthur must have felt as he got the first reports that his entire Air Force had been destroyed by the Japanese surprise attack, and that retreat and defeat was essentially unescapable.

This was after reading the first chapter of SU's book and thinking about his editor.

Thhuuubbbbbbtttttt!!!!!!!

Lest we think this is merely insult, I should point out for you ignoramuses of history, that MacArthur did return.