cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OK you potential Bishops out there (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11765)

BYU71 09-13-2007 08:07 PM

OK you potential Bishops out there

Young lady in your ward at age 17 has intercourse. She repents and does all the things necessary to receive forgiveness.

At age 22 she has fallen in love with a very charming young man. However, his P blessing says someday he will be amongst the leaders of the church and sit in council with them. He doesn't want anything coming out of the wordwork when that day arises.

He shows the fiance's Bishop the P Blessing and asks, Bishop has my fiance ever confessed having pre-marital sex. What do you tell the young man.

nikuman 09-13-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 123349)
Young lady in your ward at age 17 has intercourse. She repents and does all the things necessary to receive forgiveness.

At age 22 she has fallen in love with a very charming young man. However, his P blessing says someday he will be amongst the leaders of the church and sit in council with them. He doesn't want anything coming out of the wordwork when that day arises.

He shows the fiance's Bishop the P Blessing and asks, Bishop has my fiance ever confessed having pre-marital sex. What do you tell the young man.

Not claiming to be the bishop type, but my answer is as follows: ask her. It's a conversation I can't have as bishop for a number of reasons, mostly because it's a breach of confidentiality obligations I'd feel I have, and also because that sort of thing would have a chilling effect on the openness of others who come to talk to me if word got out that I told. And if the young lady in question was not willing to tell the young man, chances are she's the sort who would be eternally pissed at me for telling.

MikeWaters 09-13-2007 08:22 PM

I would refuse to say a thing, and then immediately call her and say "your fiance is asking if you have ever confessed sexual sin to me. Thought you might like to know. Being married to a mullah is not all that btw."

RC Vikings 09-13-2007 08:24 PM

I would tell him that if he was so petty to worry about something like that then he probably wouldn't be called to one of those positions anyway.

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't have answered this question since you directed it to potential bishops only.

MikeWaters 09-13-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 123357)
I would tell him that if he was so petty to worry about something like that then he probably wouldn't be called to one of those positions anyway.

I'm sorry I probably shouldn't have answered this question since you directed it to potential bishops only.

was that code for "what is your opinion Tex, Indy, and Lingo?"

Oops. I should have stayed out.

jay santos 09-13-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 123349)

Hilarious, 71. I love your disdain for this kind of stuff. But I sometimes wonder if you have too much energy for an element of society that may not actually exist in the real world. Only in the fantasy of anti-Mormon/anti-BYU types.

ute4ever 09-13-2007 08:31 PM

God remembers the sin no more. Sounds like that G12-wannabe is holding his fiancee to a higher standard than God.

Alma the Younger sat in the counsels of the church.

Ask him what his thoughts are on the idea that Jesus married the reformed hooker Mary Magdalene.

myboynoah 09-13-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 123361)
God remembers the sin no more. Sounds like that G12-wannabe is holding his fiancee to a higher standard than God.

Alma the Younger sat in the counsels of the church.

Ask him what his thoughts are on the idea that Jesus married the reformed hooker Mary Magdalene.

Don't bring up scripture stories; we're talking real life stuff here.

BigFatMeanie 09-13-2007 08:41 PM

Were I the Bishop:

I would tell the man that the question in and of itself is inappropriate.

I agree with the prior thoughts along the line of "If he is that concerned about it then he likely isn't GA material anyway" but if I were the Bishop I wouldn't express said thought.

Tex 09-13-2007 08:46 PM

There's a lot of potential bishops in here. Not me. :)