cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Boston Marathon (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18690)

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 04:53 PM

Boston Marathon

My sister is running it as we speak. I just checked in on her time. She is running a 7:49 pace, projected to finish at 3:24:47. Because of her leg injury, her coach had instructed her to run at an 8 mile pace, but it looks like she decided not to listen.

I'm amazed by her. All her life, she has rejected playing sports and doing any sort of athletic activity. Three years ago, a group of friends convinced her to train for a marathon with them. She refused, but gave in at the last minute. She surpassed them all, and discovered a competitive drive in her that has turned her into a good runner. Plus, she's stubborn as heck :)

Mormon Red Death 04-21-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211063)
My sister is running it as we speak. I just checked in on her time. She is running a 7:49 pace, projected to finish at 3:24:47. Because of her leg injury, her coach had instructed her to run at an 8 mile pace, but it looks like she decided not to listen.

I'm amazed by her. All her life, she has rejected playing sports and doing any sort of athletic activity. Three years ago, a group of friends convinced her to train for a marathon with them. She refused, but gave in at the last minute. She surpassed them all, and discovered a competitive drive in her that has turned her into a good runner. Plus, she's stubborn as heck :)

If I could run a 10 minute mile I would be happy... 8 minute miles for 26.2 is out of my comprehension

Archaea 04-21-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211063)

The first part of the Boston marathon is the fastest part. I believe it's slightly downhill, but that's not implying she won't hit her target as the last half is not exactly a fast marathon.

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 211088)
The first part of the Boston marathon is the fastest part. I believe it's slightly downhill, but that's not implying she won't hit her target as the last half is not exactly a fast marathon.

Yes, that's true. When I called my brother, who's in Boston watching her, she was just getting ready go up the huge hill. However, it looks like she's slightly increased her pace in the last half, now she's at a 7:46.

marsupial 04-21-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211096)
Yes, that's true. When I called my brother, who's in Boston watching her, she was just getting ready go up the huge hill. However, it looks like she's slightly increased her pace in the last half, now she's at a 7:46.

I didn't realize your bro got married. Congrats to your SIL for even qualifying. Good for her.

FarrahWaters 04-21-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 211103)
I didn't realize your bro got married. Congrats to your SIL for even qualifying. Good for her.

No, my bro is still single. He's watching our actual sister running, while helping to cart along her two kids.

marsupial 04-21-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211116)
No, my bro is still single. He's watching our actual sister running, while helping to cart along her two kids.

I guess I read your thread too fast. What a nice bro though.

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 211096)

if she is serious about improving her time, she should contact Rosie Ruiz for pointers.

Runner Coug 04-21-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 211277)
if she is serious about improving her time, she should contact Rosie Ruiz for pointers.

Pointer #1- Take the subway.

TripletDaddy 04-21-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 211299)
Pointer #1- Take the subway.

She actually didnt do that in Boston. That was NYC, iirc. Someone remembered seeing her on the train.

In Boston, she simply waited for the group to cross the bridge and then jumped in for the last bit to Copley Square.

At least thanks to Rosie, we now have electronic monitoring at these races.