cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tough run this weekend (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19696)

Runner Coug 05-27-2008 12:37 AM

Tough run this weekend

My brother in law is just getting into running, so I took him with me on my long run this weekend. We're both running the Wasatch Back Relay next month, so we went and ran one of the legs, except we ran it in the other direction. It was a tough one, we gained about 1100 feet in just over 2.5 miles. I told him if he wanted to we would get him his first half marathon, and despite having to walk a bit and having me go back to find him, he got the 13.1 done.

http://www.shaneb.net/images/elev.jpg

ERCougar 05-27-2008 03:31 AM

Speaking of Wasatch Back, how are you doing your sleeping? We're doing it for the first time this year. I think I'm going to be doing legs 1/13/25. We have a little popup trailer that we were going to camp in at East Canyon. We were going to try going out in shifts of three--so have 13, 14, 15 for legs 13-15, switch out for 16-18, and get 13-15 some extra sleep. But it's kind of tricky because it leaves either 15 or 16 running in the middle of the night without support for a stretch in the middle of the night. There are 5 women and me on the van and they're understandably not excited about running in the middle of the night alone. Any ideas? Are you having a pacer run/bike with your night runners?

fuegote 05-27-2008 03:31 AM

I've got leg 5 of the Wasatch Back relay. That first 7.1 uphill portion both excites and worries me. Man I'm excited.

ERCougar 05-27-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 225283)
I've got leg 5 of the Wasatch Back relay. That first 7.1 uphill portion both excites and worries me. Man I'm excited.

My wife and I are divvying up leg 5 and 1 on our van. I kind of think 5 is tougher (despite being shorter) because of its timing, but she chose it, so...

And yeah...I'm totally pumped for this. It looks like a great time.

Runner Coug 05-27-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 225282)
Speaking of Wasatch Back, how are you doing your sleeping?

We haven't figured it out yet. I'm on a team of 12 men, and with no ladies on the team to organize us, I'm guessing we'll finally get everything figured out, oh, say 3 hours before the race. We got screwed on our start time, we don't go until 1:20 pm.

Fuegote- I'm runner 5 also. The run we did this weekend was the other side of the mountain of our first leg, so leg 6. I was going to run our first leg but the road was still closed. All I can say is prepare for pain. If you have trail shoes take them because the road is very rocky.

ERCougar 05-27-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 225356)
We haven't figured it out yet. I'm on a team of 12 men, and with no ladies on the team to organize us, I'm guessing we'll finally get everything figured out, oh, say 3 hours before the race. We got screwed on our start time, we don't go until 1:20 pm.

Fuegote- I'm runner 5 also. The run we did this weekend was the other side of the mountain of our first leg, so leg 6. I was going to run our first leg but the road was still closed. All I can say is prepare for pain. If you have trail shoes take them because the road is very rocky.

That just means you guys are fast, doesn't it? We're starting at like 9 or 10 am. I noticed the BYU cross-country team is starting around 5 or 6 pm.

Thanks for the tip on leg 5. I may end up doing this because my wife doesn't have trail shoes.

Which runner has the toughest race? In van 1, it's between 1 and 5, I think. In van 2, it's between 10 and 11. Overall? Leg 34 just looks like a beast and may make 10's race the toughest.

fuegote 05-27-2008 04:56 PM

um.... what are trail shoes? I just saw that I'll be doing my second leg at around midnight or very early the following morning. Holy cow.

bluegoose 05-27-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 225263)
My brother in law is just getting into running, so I took him with me on my long run this weekend. We're both running the Wasatch Back Relay next month, so we went and ran one of the legs, except we ran it in the other direction. It was a tough one, we gained about 1100 feet in just over 2.5 miles. I told him if he wanted to we would get him his first half marathon, and despite having to walk a bit and having me go back to find him, he got the 13.1 done.

When you say that he just recently got into running, what exactly does that mean? I take it to be that this is his first year of getting serious about the sport.

If so, you don't really like him very much, do you?

bluegoose 05-27-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegote (Post 225439)
um.... what are trail shoes?

They're just a luxury of the rich. Take a regular running shoe, add a little more support and a wider heel, and paint it some earthtone color and you've got yourself a trail shoe.

I've never heard of the Wasatch Back before last week, but it sounds like a blast. I look forward to the full report.

Archaea 05-27-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 225449)
They're just a luxury of the rich. Take a regular running shoe, add a little more support and a wider heel, and paint it some earthtone color and you've got yourself a trail shoe.

I've never heard of the Wasatch Back before last week, but it sounds like a blast. I look forward to the full report.

For off road experiences trail shoes are a must.

One key difference that Goose is ignoring to disclose to you is that they have "kevlar" in the sole to avoid punctures which occur when stepping onto rocks. Get some. Your feet will bless you if you do. If you use normal shoes, your shoes will curse you. Money well spent.