cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New book reading suggestions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2321)

RockyBalboa 05-18-2006 12:11 AM

New book reading suggestions

For the last 18 months I've been doing real well in making sure I get through one book a month, and I've always had the next book in waiting to start right into another one.

I finished Flags of Our Fathers on Sunday and now I'm stuck.

I didn't have any books in waiting this time and am looking for suggestions.

I'd thought about the Harry Potter series, but something just keeps on preventing me from picking any of those up.

I do half fiction/half non-fiction.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Mormon Red Death 05-18-2006 12:14 AM

How about "Why Most things Fail" Its an economics book but its pretty interesting

Or "The virginian" by owen wister... supposed to be a classic

or "When the Legend Die" - Hal Borland (probably one of my favorite novels. Its about an Indian bronco rider)

bluegoose 05-18-2006 12:17 AM

What do you like to read?

If you like military/war books, I'm just reading a book called "Marine Sniper". Its a Vietnam era bio that been fairly interesting so far.

FarrahWaters 05-18-2006 12:19 AM

Read any Tim O'Brien?

creekster 05-18-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose
What do you like to read?

If you like military/war books, I'm just reading a book called "Marine Sniper". Its a Vietnam era bio that been fairly interesting so far.

Ever read Chasing Cacciato? A good Nam era novel.

I am also going through Foote's Civil War trilogy, which I think is pretty good.

I am alos working on a rather interesting book about Captain Cook and the import of his voyages, although it's name escapes me. Post if you are intereested and I will get the specifics tonight.

mpfunk 05-18-2006 12:28 AM

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut (good starter Vonnegut but my favorite is Breakfast of Champions which is not a good Vonnegut book to start with)
Moneyball - Michael Lewis
Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis

il Padrino Ute 05-18-2006 12:30 AM

The classics are always good. If you've never read "Treasure Island", I'd recommend it.

A great golf book that has been out for about 10 years is "A Good Walk Spoiled". It gives great insight to the PGA Tour. And if you want something that only takes about an hour or so to read, get a copy of Yogi Berra's "I didn't really say all the things I said". Terrific stuff.

Colly Wolly 05-18-2006 12:32 AM

I can promise you that you will enjoy the Harry Potters. Tolerate the first two books and read through them quickly. The series really starts to get good with book 3, and by 4 and 5 you will be hooked. They are great stories with something for everyone.

For non-fiction, have you ready any McCullough? John Adams is a great book.

SteelBlue 05-18-2006 01:37 AM

I'm reading "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It's a very interesting read.

RockyBalboa 05-18-2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I can promise you that you will enjoy the Harry Potters. Tolerate the first two books and read through them quickly. The series really starts to get good with book 3, and by 4 and 5 you will be hooked. They are great stories with something for everyone.

For non-fiction, have you ready any McCullough? John Adams is a great book.

I've read 1776 & John Adams. I loved John Adams, whereas 1776 while well written felt like I was reading a book report. I've been recommended Undaunted Courage and am thinking of picking that up.