cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Strange things are afoot at the BYU... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1687)

All-American 03-24-2006 04:40 PM

Strange things are afoot at the BYU...

In the daily universe this morning, a front page article discussed the termination of employment for one of the employees of BYUSA, who had written a letter to the editor critical of the requirements for candidates running for position. Also included in the DU was an article fortelling the coming of "Soulforce," a gay and lesbian rights activist group targeting BYU for their overly-strict anti-gay policies. Who'd have thought the Universe would have brought those to light? Interesting.

Soulforce is having a rally on April 10th at Kiwanis Park (a monday night, by the way). My plan is to pass around fliers advertising a "ward FHE," 7:30 at Kiwanis Park, the same night. :)

myboynoah 03-25-2006 05:39 AM

Re: Strange things are afoot at the BYU...

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American
Soulforce is having a rally on April 10th at Kiwanis Park (a monday night, by the way). My plan is to pass around fliers advertising a "ward FHE," 7:30 at Kiwanis Park, the same night. :)

:lol:

SteelBlue 03-25-2006 02:09 PM

Good old Kiwana's park. In my day that place was Provo's beach. It was where all the co-eds went to tan in their bikinis without the fear of being sent to the honor code office. It was also where all the guys went to support them in that decision.

il Padrino Ute 03-25-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Good old Kiwana's park. In my day that place was Provo's beach. It was where all the co-eds went to tan in their bikinis without the fear of being sent to the honor code office. It was also where all the guys went to support them in that decision.

A question about the Honor Code: Is it still enforced in areas that are off campus? I understand it is in the approved off campus housing, but can students tattle on other students if they see an Honor Code violation in a public place like Kiwanas Park? Or how about a place like the frozen foods section in Albertson's?

How long is the arm of the Honor Code?

SteelBlue 03-25-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
A question about the Honor Code: Is it still enforced in areas that are off campus? I understand it is in the approved off campus housing, but can students tattle on other students if they see an Honor Code violation in a public place like Kiwanas Park? Or how about a place like the frozen foods section in Albertson's?

Dress code stuff didn't apply off campus.

il Padrino Ute 03-25-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Dress code stuff didn't apply off campus.

That's good to hear. I'd hate to think that my tithing dollars wouldn't allow you guys to have seen the girls flaunt it. ;)

All-American 03-25-2006 08:16 PM

Oh, yeah. Honor code is expected to be in effect 24/7. They don't do anything to enforce it off campus, of course, but it is expected.

realtall 03-26-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Quote:

As I recall, several BYU football players got kicked out of school for off-campus honor code violations. It sounds like you are talking about the milder stuff, though(shorts and the like).

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realtall
As I recall, several BYU football players got kicked out of school for off-campus honor code violations. It sounds like you are talking about the milder stuff, though(shorts and the like).

Yeah, I was talking about the mild stuff. I wouldn't think that it would be that restrictive.

I like the idea of an Honor Code, but it sure seems that it is too inconsistent when punishments are handed out. Too much letter of the law and too little spirit of the law.

MikeWaters 03-26-2006 03:45 AM

woe be unto you if you are busted for an honor code violation.

esp. the ones that a lot of people break. Like being out of apts. by midnight (of the opposite sex).

woe, because you are one of the unlucky few.