cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Marry in your own race" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22308)

MikeWaters 09-09-2008 03:49 PM

"Marry in your own race"

This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.

SeattleUte 09-09-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 263273)
This lesson was taught to the YM in my ward this past Sunday. The Kimball quote (paraphrased above) was used twice in the lesson by the teacher (a member of the Bishopric).

There were about 7 boys in attendance. Only one was white. So these non-white kids, in a white church, are being told to marry in their race.

It was also suggested during the lesson by another adult, that marrying a "career woman" might be a bad idea.

I didn't say anything during the meeting, but I will bring it up with the YM President first. And then maybe the Bishopric.

Minority kids in this white church have a tough enough time already. There is no sense in putting this nonsense on their plate.

My suggestion to the church curriculum office to remove the passage has not been met with any response.

Sweet. Some things never change. Doesn't this cast a revealing light on the source of the opposition to gay marriage?

Jeff Lebowski 09-09-2008 03:57 PM

Give 'em hell, Mike. That line should be removed from the manual.

SeattleUte 09-09-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 263284)
Give 'em hell, Mike. That line should be removed from the manual.

The LDS Church is such a sweet spot for Mike. He gets to be a dissident and reactionary within, and take on all comers from without, two AK 47's in hand, against the atheist and liberal hordes.

Jeff Lebowski 09-09-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 263286)
The LDS Church is such a sweet spot for Mike. He gets to be a dissident and reactionary within, and take on all comers from without, two AK 47's in hand, against the atheist and liberal hordes.

God bless him.

MikeWaters 09-09-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 263286)

I'm just a simple guy looking for a place to rest my head.

http://www.moviemania.sk/img/retro/rambo-1.jpg

I really like and respect the guy that taught the lesson. He is not trying to hurt people. He is doing the right thing in his mind by 1) following the prophet, 2) following the lesson plan, 3) saying what he has heard his entire life--whites marry whites, non-whites marry non-whites.

Archaea 09-09-2008 04:29 PM

I generally favor people marrying within the human race, but with Seattle and Creekster, I guess some people make exceptions. God bless their patient and self-sacrificing wives.

SeattleUte 09-09-2008 04:38 PM

In the old days Tex would leap into this thread swinging with bare knuckles, defending the manual as inspired, spinning all kinds of wild sophistry impressive in its own right. We really do need some new Mullah blood.

Jeff Lebowski 09-09-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 263333)
In the old days Tex would leap into this thread swinging with bare knuckles, defending the manual as inspired, spinning all kinds of wild sophistry impressive in its own right. We really do need some new Mullah blood.

No kidding. The new Tex is pretty mellow.

Tex 09-09-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 263335)
No kidding. The new Tex is pretty mellow.

You all can go to hell.