cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If the Cougar D-Line (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3596)

Sleeping in EQ 08-10-2006 06:23 PM

If the Cougar D-Line

ends up being absolutely awful, I'm considering referring to it as the "Maginot Line," or "ML" for short. I wouldn't be mocking my team (because I'm not inclined to knee-jerk mockery of the French), I'd just be admitting a deficiency. It would be my way of dealing with the situation in good humor.

What fraction of CBers will I drive right up the wall?

I'm thinking it's 8 out of 9.

myboynoah 08-10-2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
ends up being absolutely awful, I'm considering referring to it as the "Maginot Line," or "ML" for short. I wouldn't be mocking my team (because I'm not inclined to knee-jerk mockery of the French), I'd just be admitting a deficiency. It would be my way of dealing with the situation in good humor.

What fraction of CBers will I drive right up the wall?

I'm thinking it's 8 out of 9.

Actually, I believe the Maginot Line was plenty strong, hence the Germans went around it. Sadly, the French didn't possess much of a linebacking corps and Hitler marched right to Paris via Belgium.

As The Cougars' strength is their linebacking corps, in a way I hope our D-line becomes a Maginot Line of sorts.

;)

Interesting note: De Gaulle was ahead of his time in seeing the utility of mobile armour (tanks-kind of like linebackers) and wrote quite extensively on the topic. The Germans studied De Gaulle and thought him a genius. The French ignored him and built the Maginot Line.

Sleeping in EQ 08-10-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah
Actually, I believe the Maginot Line was plenty strong, hence the Germans went around it. Sadly, the French didn't possess much of a linebacking corps and Hitler marched right to Paris via Belgium.

As The Cougars' strength is their linebacking corps, in a way I hope our D-line becomes a Maginot Line of sorts.

;)

Interesting note: De Gaulle was ahead of his time in seeing the utility of mobile armour (tanks-kind of like linebackers) and wrote quite extensively on the topic. The Germans studied De Gaulle and thought him a genius. The French ignored him and built the Maginot Line.

I'm well aware that the Germans went around the line (and through Belgium). My point was more that it was ineffective and French, which would drive CBers nuts.

il Padrino Ute 08-11-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
...I'm not inclined to knee-jerk mockery of the French...

That's ok. I am. I can more than make up for you and any other Frog lovin' wine sipper. ;)