cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What was your most patriotic event you've attended in person? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481)

The Borg 06-28-2007 06:46 PM

What was your most patriotic event you've attended in person?

A previous post got me thinking:

What "event" that you have experienced personally (be whatever it may) has made you feel the most patriotic towards the USA? That made you proud/grateful to be an American?

Jeff Lebowski 06-28-2007 06:52 PM

Standing on Omaha Beach in Normandy last year with my family. And then looking at the ocean of white crosses in the adjacent cemetery. Nothing quite compares to that.

Indy Coug 06-28-2007 06:54 PM

The hosting of American soldiers in Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Storm.

SteelBlue 06-28-2007 06:56 PM

For me it was the surprising rush of emotion I felt while visiting Pearl Harbor for the first time.

Indy Coug 06-28-2007 06:58 PM

Get Tal Bachman to play there. Have a contest for who can come up with the most convincing suicide bomber jacket.

SoCalCoug 06-28-2007 06:59 PM

Being unable to order fast food because I don't speak Spanish.

The Borg 06-28-2007 07:19 PM

Some special moments for me:

1) Visiting Pearl Harbor
2) Visiting Vicksburgh National Park...and seeing all those white crosses
3) Visiting Mt. Rushmore
4) Taking in some of the memorials in D.C. (ie. Lincoln, Jefferson)

(not there in person...but seemed like I was!)
5) The funeral of President Ronald Reagan (although I wasn't there in person)
6) feelings I had after the towers were hit

Archaea 06-28-2007 07:28 PM

The Arizona Memorial feels sacred.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is eery, especially during the changing of the Guard.

The Vietnam Memorial is mindboggling.

Speaking with an Italian in Vicenza who praised Americans from freeing him and his country from tyranny, so much so that he made certain I could find where I needed to go, even though he spoke very broken English and I equally bad Italian. I was very proud of the sacrifices of our forefathers just then.

Visiting some of the early sites in Boston, almost feels sacred, and evokes a sense of pride.

Visiting the fields of Gettysburg is quite moving; if you haven't done it, do it. Bull Run is not nearly as impressive. Do Bull Run before Gettysburg.

BarbaraGordon 06-28-2007 07:31 PM

Standing in front of (what was left of) the Murrah Building.

Seeing firsthand a level of devastation that had only heretofore been represented only in international reports on CNN.

And realizing how fortunate I am to live in a place so secure that events of that nature are rare and shocking.

I don't live in a part of the world where car bombings are routine or I have to worry about getting firebombed when heading to the grocery store.

That event, horrific though it was, was a real revelation for me as to how blessed we really are.

Indy Coug 06-28-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 95364)
Visiting the fields of Gettysburg is quite moving; if you haven't done it, do it. Bull Run is not nearly as impressive. Do Bull Run before Gettysburg.

We have to drive past Gettysburg on the way to the DC Temple. We need to stop there sometime and check it out.