cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Alice Walker's daughter on Alice Walker (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26011)

MikeWaters 05-11-2009 06:55 PM

Alice Walker's daughter on Alice Walker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...le-author.html

SU will enjoy this one.

RedHeadGal 05-11-2009 08:28 PM

I don't think it's a very common feminist view that women shouldn't have children. And I dare say there's another side to this story. But mainly, it just reminds me of how complicated mother/daughter relationships often are.

il Padrino Ute 05-11-2009 10:05 PM

It certainly sounds like from the daughter's perspective, that Alice Walker is a bitter and hateful person.

MikeWaters 05-11-2009 10:08 PM

It's too bad Alice Walker didn't do the responsible thing and hire a nanny to raise her inconvenient child, like most of the elite do. At least she would have had a relationship with the nanny.

RedHeadGal 05-12-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 305059)
It certainly sounds like from the daughter's perspective, that Alice Walker is a bitter and hateful person.

it strikes me that her perspective is that her mother was just purely selfish, not necessarily bitter and hateful. the daughter seems to have her share of bitterness, though.

RedHeadGal 05-12-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 305060)
It's too bad Alice Walker didn't do the responsible thing and hire a nanny to raise her inconvenient child, like most of the elite do. At least she would have had a relationship with the nanny.

maybe she did at times, and it seems like there was a stable stepmother, though she doesn't say much about that. but here's the thing: daughters can grow up and express many of these same kinds of resentments about mothers who were home, too. like I said, it can be very complicated.

MikeWaters 05-12-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 305085)
maybe she did at times, and it seems like there was a stable stepmother, though she doesn't say much about that. but here's the thing: daughters can grow up and express many of these same kinds of resentments about mothers who were home, too. like I said, it can be very complicated.

what dyad is not complicated?

il Padrino Ute 05-12-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 305084)
it strikes me that her perspective is that her mother was just purely selfish, not necessarily bitter and hateful. the daughter seems to have her share of bitterness, though.

A fair point about the daughter being bitter. I would agree that there is selfishness on Alice Walker's part as well.

FarrahWaters 05-12-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 305084)

Those are two of the first thoughts I had as well. I wonder if Rebecca will regret writing this article one day. I don't automatically equate feminism with a belief that motherhood=servitude either. A wealthy well-heeled woman can neglect her children all day long because she doesn't want to be a slave to them (and for her own selfish desires), but that certainly doesn't make her a fanatical feminist.

MikeWaters 05-12-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 305119)
Those are two of the first thoughts I had as well. I wonder if Rebecca will regret writing this article one day. I don't automatically equate feminism with a belief that motherhood=servitude either. A wealthy well-heeled woman can neglect her children all day long because she doesn't want to be a slave to them (and for her own selfish desires), but that certainly doesn't make her a fanatical feminist.

that's how writers do it. They fight with books, articles and op-eds.

If they lived in a trailer park, they would be pulling hair and biting.

I read some of Alice Walker's poetry. I thought it was kind of forgettable.

I'm looking forward to some future flame wars with my son and daughter on the internet tubes, or whatever they have decades from now.