cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dinner in SF (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21196)

8ballrollin 07-25-2008 02:19 AM

Dinner in SF

I'm taking clients to dinner in the city tomorrow; it's been a little bit since I've been in town. Any suggestions?

TripletDaddy 07-25-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 246768)
I'm taking clients to dinner in the city tomorrow; it's been a little bit since I've been in town. Any suggestions?

OOOHHHHHHHbaby......

That is like saying, "I am going to the Louvre....what should I view?"

Let's start with some basics....

1.In the City itself?
2. Expense account? What is the total spend per person?
3. Alcohol or dry?
4. Type of food?

Since it is tomorrow, you dont have a lot of time for ressies, so you might have to open table it.

SF is one of my fave eating towns for expense accounts.

8ballrollin 07-25-2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 246778)
OOOHHHHHHHbaby......

That is like saying, "I am going to the Louvre....what should I view?"

Let's start with some basics....

1.In the City itself?
2. Expense account? What is the total spend per person?
3. Alcohol or dry?
4. Type of food?

Since it is tomorrow, you dont have a lot of time for ressies, so you might have to open table it.

SF is one of my fave eating towns for expense accounts.

Being the start of the weekend, we're going to try and go early.

1. yeah, in the city proper.
2. Expense account. NA (I'm guessing about $75)
3. With drinks.
4. Pan Asian or Italian

Reservations will be an issue, that's why we're going to try to get in early - after finishing up a week of work.

RC Vikings 07-25-2008 01:55 PM

Does the Condor still serve food?

ute4ever 07-25-2008 02:53 PM

This is sort of obvious, but you'll want to find a restaurant with valet parking; otherwise you'll need to factor taxi costs into the equation. I've been to San Francisco 11 times at last count and parking is near impossible.

Sorry though that I can't recommend high-end restaurants, but can tell you things about sight-seeing and that parking at the Giants ballpark is $30.

creekster 07-25-2008 03:11 PM

The Slanted Door is a fun vietnamese type place. It is in the Ferry Building. It is a bit noisy but I like it.

I also had dinner the other night at Town Hall (south of Market) and it was quite good. Not Italian or asian, but good food.

I'll come up with some more if you need them.

cougjunkie 07-25-2008 03:48 PM

Barrys is solid, also Glades.

jay santos 07-25-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 246850)
Barrys is solid, also Glades.

You stole my thunder. I was going to suggest the One Man Band.

BigFatMeanie 07-25-2008 05:36 PM

The An family restaurants are fantastic. I highly recommend Thanh Long. I've had both the Steamed Sea Bass (outstanding) and the Garlic Roasted Dungeness Crab (also outstanding) although the crab is seasonal.

8ballrollin 07-30-2008 03:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions last week. Because of the Giants' game all the joints near the embarcadero were slammed - Slanted Door, etc.

On the advice of a friend we went to Albona over in North Beach.

http://www.albonarestaurant.com/index.html

It has a small kitchen and dining room with a very unassuming storefront. It's in the middle of a neighborhood with no other commercial buildings on the street.

It was a great meal. The owner, who recently bought it from his uncle (the long time owner), is the head waiter. He knows the regulars by name and sits at their tables to chat and talk about wine.

I had fillets of fried sardines with glazed onions; pork loin stuffed with sauerkraut, prosciutto, apples, and plums, and a half order of the strudel con pasta fatta.

Good eats.