cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A family friend has been out on his mission about 4 months... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514)

non sequitur 03-08-2008 09:57 PM

A family friend has been out on his mission about 4 months...

I heard today that he was coming home -- I was quickly assured, though, that it was for medical reasons and was "honorable". It turns out he is suffering from depression. Is this becoming an epidemic? When I was a missionary we didn't have that out, and my mission was pretty depressing. I don't think anyone goes through a two year mission without being depressed every now and again. I thought today's kids were all supposed to be valiant warriors in the pre-existence. How come they're so soft now?

Archaea 03-08-2008 10:19 PM

It does seem strange that so many young people can be diagnosed to be clinically depressed. In our day, that diagnosis was uncommon, but it seems almost commonplace.

My service occurred in a country where one taught almost no investigators, experienced virtually no baptisms, and walked around in cold, wet weather all day long. Yes, there were depressing days, but you toughed that aspect out. Kids today can be a bit wimpy.

SeattleUte 03-08-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 195555)
I heard today that he was coming home -- I was quickly assured, though, that it was for medical reasons and was "honorable". It turns out he is suffering from depression. Is this becoming an epidemic? When I was a missionary we didn't have that out, and my mission was pretty depressing. I don't think anyone goes through a two year mission without being depressed every now and again. I thought today's kids were all supposed to be valiant warriors in the pre-existence. How come they're so soft now?

Non-seq, Those of us who served in Guayaquil, Ecuador and didn't get depressed have an iron constitution.

non sequitur 03-08-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 195561)
Non-seq, Those of us who served in Guayaquil, Ecuador and didn't get depressed have an iron constitution.

Constant 80% humidity with 90 degree heat. No hot water. Raw sewage running down the street. Got robbed 3 times. It was paradise.

SteelBlue 03-08-2008 11:01 PM

We lost a couple during my mission. They never called it depression back then though. They always referred to it as a "chemical imbalance".

Tex 03-09-2008 12:55 AM

The real question is, is someone born depressed, or is it a choice?

danimal 03-09-2008 12:59 AM

My guess is that while there may be some wimps who want to go home, there's enough shame involved in returning that those who do are legit. Missions are also the age that many psychiatric disorders first appear. Take it easy on people, depression isn't a sign of moral weakness.

malapert 03-09-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 195595)
My guess is that while there may be some wimps who want to go home, there's enough shame involved in returning that those who do are legit. Missions are also the age that many psychiatric disorders first appear. Take it easy on people, depression isn't a sign of moral weakness.

BS, these are kids who grew up being given trophies for "participating" on soccer teams from ages 4 to 12. Didn't matter that they lost every game.

This is the generation whose sense of entitlement comes from being molly coddled their entire lives. Their parents ran to their defense every time an elementary school teacher didn't give them straight "A"s and perfect citizenship marks.

These kids now think they are entitled to a life devoid of pressure, challenge and obstacles. They're soft. They want their mom when the going gets a little tough.

Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.

danimal 03-09-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malapert (Post 195601)
BS, these are kids who grew up being given trophies for "participating" on soccer teams from ages 4 to 12. Didn't matter that they lost every game.

This is the generation whose sense of entitlement comes from being molly coddled their entire lives. Their parents ran to their defense every time an elementary school teacher didn't give them straight "A"s and perfect citizenship marks.

These kids now think they are entitled to a life devoid of pressure, challenge and obstacles. They're soft. They want their mom when the going gets a little tough.

Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.

You really believe that depression is caused by giving trophies to kids who don't win soccer games? You're a regular mental health expert.

Sadly, many people suffer from mental illness and are stigmatized into feeling like crap because of folks like you.