cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TCU gets homered... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17687)

il Padrino Ute 03-14-2008 03:12 AM

TCU gets homered...

Having the tournament every year is for one reason and one reason only: to make money.

The problem is that UNLV will always have the home court advantage and Rebel fans will always buy the majority of tickets.

Conference tournaments are the biggest farce after the BCS.

YOhio 03-14-2008 03:13 AM

Despite the advantage received by UNLV, it's the best place to hold the conference tourney. Aside from making money it's an awesome event for the fans. A great prelude to the Big Dance.

exUte 03-14-2008 03:19 AM

What other conference has their

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 197982)
Despite the advantage received by UNLV, it's the best place to hold the conference tourney. Aside from making money it's an awesome event for the fans. A great prelude to the Big Dance.

tournament at the same place each year? They either rotate it or play it at the regular season champ's home court.

What is the purpose of a conference tournament?

TheSizzle36 03-14-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

I agree. Vegas is a much better location than Denver. And I don't think the tourney did very well in SLC. No way would it fly in Texas or New Mexico. San Diego is the only other 'location' city in the conference, and I think Vegas makes more sense as it seems to be more of a central location.

I still think it sucks giving UNLV such an advantage though, but looking at it objectively, where else would you really have it?

TheSizzle36 03-14-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 197984)
tournament at the same place each year? They either rotate it or play it at the regular season champ's home court.

What is the purpose of a conference tournament?

The Big East plays at Madison Square Garden every year.

I believe the Big 10 has their tournament every year in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure about every conference, but the MWC isn't the only conference who keeps it in the same spot every year.

exUte 03-14-2008 03:27 AM

Are MSG and Indianapolis a home court

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 197987)
The Big East plays at Madison Square Garden every year.

I believe the Big 10 has their tournament every year in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure about every conference, but the MWC isn't the only conference who keeps it in the same spot every year.

for any of the conference teams?

BTW..........Las Vegas is the biggest cesspool of pathogens in the US.

RockyBalboa 03-14-2008 03:33 AM

You couldn't breathe on Wink Adams without the refs bumjugging him.

That last play was so pre-meditated it wasn't even funny. I turned to my brother and said...."You watch....Wink will drive...he won't get touched, he'll make the shot and the refs will bail out them with a foul call."

Bingo.

YOhio 03-14-2008 03:34 AM

Both Purdue and Indiana are within an hour and a half from Indy. Columbus is about three hours away. The rest of the conference is over five hour away. It can be argued that holding a tourney in Indy gives the two Indiana teams an unfair advantage.

exUte 03-14-2008 03:36 AM

Refs had to cover themselves.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 197991)
You couldn't breathe on Wink Adams without the refs bumjugging him.

That last play was so pre-meditated it wasn't even funny. I turned to my brother and said...."You watch....Wink will drive...he won't get touched, he'll make the shot and the refs will bail out them with a foul call."

Bingo.

they had to call the foul. If he misses the shot, the best FT shooter gets two points to tie the game. That would be the worse case scenario. In this case, the refs made it the best case scenario. All the TCU players just stood there with their hands up. That's how the refs get their 15 minutes of fame in front of the home crowd. Call a tacky foul (at best) with 3 seconds left in the game.

il Padrino Ute 03-14-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

To hell with Las Vegas. With apologies to Archaea and anyone else who may live there, but I hate that city more than any city in the country.

If there has to be a conference tournament, it should be on the floor of the regular season. Otherwise, why bother to play the season?

I predict BYU gets hosed in the championship game against UNLV.