cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Michael Reed:Collie's Equal in Talent (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17642)

BYUTexan 03-12-2008 09:50 PM

Michael Reed:Collie's Equal in Talent

Over on cougarboard there has been great debate in comparing Collie and Watkins, but while they were very talented no doubt, getting lost in the shuffle is Reed, who I believe to be equally talented as any WR we have had here at BYU, including Austin Collie. Yes, he may not get the notoriety and hype that Collie gets, but consider this, he is a different type of reciever than Collie:

1. I've never seen a BYU WR block as well as Reed. Any doubters should look up the youtube video of him levelling Steve Tate. While Collie doesn't shy away from contact, Reed is very physical.

2. He runs precise routes and is very assignment sound.

3. He has as good a set of hands as any WR that Ive seen here at BYU (IMO roughly on level with Collie).

4. Reed is not afraid of crossing the middle for the ball. Like Collie, he has balls and shows no fear of what the defense will throw at him.

5. Collie garners more attention because of his style of play and the fact that he gets alot of balls thrown his way.

discuss

Goatnapper'96 03-12-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYUTexan (Post 197472)
Over on cougarboard there has been great debate in comparing Collie and Watkins, but while they were very talented no doubt, getting lost in the shuffle is Reed, who I believe to be equally talented as any WR we have had here at BYU, including Austin Collie. Yes, he may not get the notoriety and hype that Collie gets, but consider this, he is a different type of reciever than Collie:

1. I've never seen a BYU WR block as well as Reed. Any doubters should look up the youtube video of him levelling Steve Tate. While Collie doesn't shy away from contact, Reed is very physical.

3. He has as good a set of hands as any WR that Ive seen here at BYU (IMO roughly on level with Collie).

4. Reed is not afraid of crossing the middle for the ball. Like Collie, he has balls and shows no fear of what the defense will throw at him.

5. Collie garners more attention because of his style of play and the fact that he gets alot of balls thrown his way.

discuss

Discuss whether or not Michael Reed is as talented as Austin Collie ensues:

He is not.

Discussion ended.

il Padrino Ute 03-12-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 197473)
Discuss whether or not Michael Reed is as talented as Austin Collie ensues:

He is not.

Discussion ended.

I'll add to this:

I would like to see Collie in a Utah uniform.

I wouldn't want to see Reed in a Utah uniform.

RockyBalboa 03-12-2008 10:06 PM

lol......Reed is nowhere in Collie's league.

Reed isn't even ALL-MWC caliber. He's good and serviceable for the style of offense BYU runs and that's it.

jay santos 03-12-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYUTexan (Post 197472)

discuss

I'm glad we have Reed, but he's no Collie or Watkins. More similar to Margin Hooks but a step below.

Flystripper 03-12-2008 11:32 PM

Reed is an average receiver and above average blocker for his position.

Collie might be the best receiver to ever put on a cougar uni. If Collie avoids injury throughout his career, I don't think that there will be many people that will argue otherwise. Nobody will say the same about Reed.

myboynoah 03-13-2008 01:57 AM

Well, I think that about wraps this up.

Detroitdad 03-13-2008 02:35 AM

Reed has some nice intangibles, but Collie has more talent, and it is not really close.

Indy Coug 03-13-2008 02:40 AM

If Michael Reed wasn't from Texas, this thread would never have started.

BYUTexan 03-13-2008 02:46 AM

Wow, some of you guys need to take off those west coast shaped glasses.

To make my point let me give you an example. Harline and Coats were two totally different TE's but IMO were of equal talent. Many on here would believe that Harline was better at his position because of his catching ability, while ignoring that Coats was a superior blocker.

I think that the same can be said when comparing Reed and Collie, that was said about Harline and Coats. They present two different skill sets, that IMO are of equal value but of different use. Collie garners attention because he gets more balls thrown his way, while Reed does more of the dirty work with this blocking. They both have great hands (Reed's hands are rather large BTW), they both run excellent, crisp routes, and they both are assignment sound. Where Collie excells in the deeper route, Reed excells with the inward/middle routes. Reed also has been great at sealing the corner for Harvey and Dennis as well (though Collie isn't bad himself at blocking).

I honestly think that it would have helped alot if Anae would have had Max throw to Reed more in those routes, (esp against UCLA). However, QBs will always have their one favorite WR to throw to (see Troy Aikman to Alvin Harper). I will not be surprised to see Reed get a crack at the NFL, just like I will not be surprised to see Collie get a crack at the NFL.