cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Precious Metals (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9997)

BlueHair 07-16-2007 04:41 AM

Precious Metals

A question for the financial guys (or gals) on the board. I was told I should have between five and ten percent of my assets in gold or other precious metals (but preferably gold). Is this sound advice? Ten percent seems like a lot. If it is good advice, what is the best way to accomplish this? Is it better to buy bullion or invest in gold stocks?

jay santos 07-16-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 101670)
A question for the financial guys (or gals) on the board. I was told I should have between five and ten percent of my assets in gold or other precious metals (but preferably gold). Is this sound advice? Ten percent seems like a lot. If it is good advice, what is the best way to accomplish this? Is it better to buy bullion or invest in gold stocks?

I think most people would tell you you don't need it. Some would say you do and to the tune of 5% or so. But unless you have a lot of money, the transaction costs will eat you up, so it's probably not something to consider unless you have over $1M. I'd go with a commodity index. Just gold even only at 5% is too much unneccesary risk.

BYU71 07-16-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

That is a pretty standard line for someone who thinks every portfolio should have a hedge against inflation or something really dire happening.

cougjunkie 07-16-2007 03:16 PM

on a side note, i read today that Jerry Jones, bought up futures in the scrap metal industry, before he started construction on the Cowboys new stadium so that it would be worth more.

jay santos 07-16-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 101770)
on a side note, i read today that Jerry Jones, bought up futures in the scrap metal industry, before he started construction on the Cowboys new stadium so that it would be worth more.

I don't know the specifics of this, but more likely he manipulated a scrap metal futures transaction to lock in a price, or hedge against future fluctuations. This was the reason the futures market was created--to help lower risk for farmers.

nikuman 07-17-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

No way. Metals are notoriously volatile, and I'd never mess around with them. I leave that to the professional mining/hedging types. You can lose your shirt (although you can print money too). I'm just not smart enough.

BlueHair 07-17-2007 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. I've decided against the five or ten percent, but decided to buy 100 ounces of silver just for fun. Silver is super volatile so it will be fun to watch it go up and down. I'm buying it in the form of 1 ounce rounds. Here is a photo:

BlueHair 03-08-2008 05:25 AM

I'm wishing I would have bought more. Silver is up almost 8 dollars per ounce since I bought it. The dollar is in serious trouble.

Runner Coug 03-13-2008 09:09 PM

My bro in law was just barely in my office saying that the silver he bought 4 months ago is now worth $1500 more.

il Padrino Ute 03-13-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 197868)
My bro in law was just barely in my office saying that the silver he bought 4 months ago is now worth $1500 more.

Hmmmm....

The china my wife (and her mom and grandma) picked out for our wedding has either silver or gold in it. I'm not sure, as I rarely look at it. We never use it; it just sits in the hutch for other people (meaning my wife's visiting teachers) to admire.

Perhaps I should break all of the dishes to collect and melt it into one small blob?