cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Greatest Hair Metal bands (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8537)

Venkman 05-23-2007 04:18 PM

Greatest Hair Metal bands

Talk about Warrant and Def Leppard got me thinking, what is the greatest hair metal band?

I realize "great" is probably too strong a word since it's a pretty lightweight genre, but damn if that wasn't some fun music. So what is the 'best' hair metal band?

My pick has to be Motley Crue. I heard Kickstart My Heart on KBER 101 the other day and that song still kicks ass. What a killer guitar riff...

BarbaraGordon 05-23-2007 04:25 PM

I gotta go with Poison. You've got all the elements: bad hair, awful lyrics, partying, sex, allegations of satanism, but most importantly really fun music.

What more could you want in a band?

Black Diamond Bay 05-23-2007 04:44 PM

There are a few AC/DC songs that I love. Hell's Bells, Highway to Hell, Who Made Who, Shoot to Thrill...those are favorites.

I also like the Scorpions, and does GNR count as a hair band, because November Rain is one of the best songs ever written.

Venkman 05-23-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 84137)
There are a few AC/DC songs that I love. Hell's Bells, Highway to Hell, Who Made Who, Shoot to Thrill...those are favorites.

I also like the Scorpions, and does GNR count as a hair band, because November Rain is one of the best songs ever written.

AC/DC is not a hair band.

GNR is probably borderline hair band. They're a little darker and edgier so some people don't count them as hair. November Rain IS a great song.

Black Diamond Bay 05-23-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 84145)
AC/DC is not a hair band.

GNR is probably borderline hair band. They're a little darker and edgier so some people don't count them as hair. November Rain IS a great song.

How can AC/DC not count as a hair band? Did they come around too late to join that wave? They certainly look the part.

MikeWaters 05-23-2007 05:16 PM

AC/DC is definitely NOT a hair band. Hair bands are their own unique entity. Like Twisted Sister.

Their music is kitsch and the band is mostly about appearance and image, which consists in part of huge hair and makeup.

il Padrino Ute 05-23-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 84148)
How can AC/DC not count as a hair band? Did they come around too late to join that wave? They certainly look the part.

AC/DC isn't a hair band for two reasons:

They were around long before the hair movement.

None of the guys in AC/DC wore makeup.

il Padrino Ute 05-23-2007 05:18 PM

A third reason:

Mike is right, AC/DC was about their music, not their image.

DrumNFeather 05-23-2007 05:27 PM

What about Firehouse? Aren't they on that Monstar ballads CD?

jay santos 05-23-2007 05:40 PM

You prompted me to listen to my metal collection, which rarely gets listened to these days with U2, Coldplay, Killers, and femmy 80's stuff higher on the list.

Ratt Round and Round is the ultimate perfect hair metal song.