cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BFM has volunteered to improve the site (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10247)

MikeWaters 07-23-2007 09:08 PM

BFM has volunteered to improve the site

BigFatMeanie is a man of no mean programming experience, and is going to make some improvements from time to time to improve the functionality of the site.

Thanks to BFM.

If you have suggestions, let us know.

BarbaraGordon 07-23-2007 09:27 PM

Thanks, Meanie! That's nice of you!

BigFatMeanie 07-23-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

BigFatMeanie is a man of no mean programming experience
That's just great. Way to set high expectations. Now people won't be so forgiving when I crash the site and bring the server to it's knees.

BigFatMeanie 07-23-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 105049)
Thanks, Meanie! That's nice of you!

I just want to move the "who's in chat" feature higher up on the front page. I'm hoping that if the list of who's in chat were more visible it would encourage more people to use chat.

I didn't have anything else in mind beyond that; however, if people have suggestions that don't outpace my meager skills or my meager free time then I'll be happy to have a go at it.

Jeff Lebowski 07-23-2007 09:43 PM

Wonderful! Here are some things that I would like to see:

1) Better threaded mode viewing

I prefer threaded mode but once a thread gets too long, if you click on an unread post that is way down the list, it refreshes and you can no longer tell the unread posts from the read posts.

2) Better searching.

If you do a search, you get a list of threads containing the word you are looking for, but you have to manually hunt through the posts. It would nice to have the search return individual posts, not threads.

ewth8tr 07-23-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 105064)

2) Better searching.

If you do a search, you get a list of threads containing the word you are looking for, but you have to manually hunt through the posts. It would nice to have the search return individual posts, not threads.

When you are doing an advanced search, you can tell it to bring back the results as posts instead of threads.

FMCoug 07-23-2007 09:53 PM

mobile.cougarguard.com is needed.

BarbaraGordon 07-23-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 105066)
When you are doing an advanced search, you can tell it to bring back the results as posts instead of threads.

yeah, but still there are some problems with the search feature. Half the time I'll search and get an error that says all the words in my search are either too small or too common.

So I have to use google to do a site search, assuming the thread I'm looking for is public.

(Meanie, I'm not implying you should have to fix any of this...I'm just rambling.)

Jeff Lebowski 07-23-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewth8tr (Post 105066)

Yeah, but it should read my mind!!!!

(oops, I missed that. Thanks)

cougjunkie 07-23-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 105068)
mobile.cougarguard.com is needed.

Completely agree.