cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Boxing vs UFC (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7237)

8ballrollin 03-26-2007 02:07 AM

Boxing vs UFC

I enjoy watching boxing. My wife hates it. She will not allow it on the TV when she's home.

It's too bad the great fights never make it to the masses anymore.

I watched the replay of the Marquez/Barrera fight on HBO last night. What a fight!

You can watch most of it on youtube. The 7th and 12th are great rounds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Gi55n0a4kk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b1qwCjLIkn0

The lower weight class Mexican fighters are the best. No clinching, no hugging, only middle-of-the-ring pugilism - tactical at times and a brawl at others.

Keep your UFC - I'll take the sweet science any day.

Archaea 03-26-2007 02:24 AM

That fight was great but the Nevada judges were smoking dope. What the hell were they watching? They must have been having sex with a bunch of whores.

Barrera fought tactically and effectively. To only give him two rounds was an outrage. And to not call the knock down a knock was again absurd. I loved the fight and wish they didn't score them any more in Nevada, which apparently only needs a count meter to determine a fight.

Archaea 03-26-2007 02:25 AM

UFC is still better, because you rarely if ever dispute the judges' decision. In boxing, one can see the fix is in, on almost every fight.

RockyBalboa 03-26-2007 02:47 AM

The problem with boxing is the corruption and destruction of the most popular weight division that being the Heavyweights.

Next to Nascar, UFC is the fastest growing sport in the U.S.

cougjunkie 03-26-2007 02:57 AM

Also i just read that UFC has bought Pride. It will be announced within the upcoming weeks.

Expect some super bouts to take place. Dana White the president of UFC has already said the following will take place barring upsets.

Liddell vs. Rampage Jackson

Couture vs. Kro Kop

Liddell vs. Kro Kop (liddell will go up in weight)

SteelBlue 03-26-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 67569)

I love them both, but boxing's history is what I find most fascinating. I can watch ESPN classic fights all day. What boxing has become is disappointing to me. The heavyweight division hasn't been exciting since Tyson and hasn't been good since the 80's.

Surfah 03-26-2007 06:18 AM

I love both and respect them each as different sports. I agree with Rocky that the heavyweight class has hurt the sport as a whole. But I think as the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight approaches and if it lives up to a quarter of it's hype then it could go a long ways to helping the sport. I hope De La Hoya knocks his ass out.

I hadn't heard that UFC bought Pride. Do you have a link? That's huge news. So do all of the Pride contracts become UFC contracts? This sport is going to blow up with some super fights. Imagine Fedor, Wanderlei and Shogun fighting in the Octagon now. I knew the Rampage and Liddell fight was on. Before Rampage's first fight in the UFC he had only a 2 fight contract I believe and Dana was trying to sign him to an extension and should Rampage win his next fight he'll get his title shot. Rampage worked Liddell in a Pride fight. It wasn't even close though it is rumored that Liddell was fighting with a torn ACL. But that rumor I believe came out from Dana White. So who knows? Either way that will be a hell of a rematch.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 67569)

I agree with this 100%.

A neighbor bought the broadcast of the last big UFC on pay-per-view and invited me over to watch. I lasted about 1 1/2 round and called it a night. It just didn't do anything for me.

I agree the boxing is no longer what it was. People like Don King have brought too much corruption into it and have ruined it. Still, for me, it's light years ahead of UFC or Pride when it comes to entertainment.

cougjunkie 03-27-2007 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 67608)
I love both and respect them each as different sports. I agree with Rocky that the heavyweight class has hurt the sport as a whole. But I think as the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight approaches and if it lives up to a quarter of it's hype then it could go a long ways to helping the sport. I hope De La Hoya knocks his ass out.

I hadn't heard that UFC bought Pride. Do you have a link? That's huge news. So do all of the Pride contracts become UFC contracts? This sport is going to blow up with some super fights. Imagine Fedor, Wanderlei and Shogun fighting in the Octagon now. I knew the Rampage and Liddell fight was on. Before Rampage's first fight in the UFC he had only a 2 fight contract I believe and Dana was trying to sign him to an extension and should Rampage win his next fight he'll get his title shot. Rampage worked Liddell in a Pride fight. It wasn't even close though it is rumored that Liddell was fighting with a torn ACL. But that rumor I believe came out from Dana White. So who knows? Either way that will be a hell of a rematch.

Heres the link of UFC buying Pride

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3669&zoneid=13

MikeWaters 03-27-2007 03:14 AM

I thought the score was going to be closer, but I'm not surprised that Marquez won. He was the aggressor and got the harder hits.

Just watched Kessler and Andrade. Holy mackerel, I felt so bad for Andrade, the punishment he was taken. Got to admire him for his heart, although he looked terrible and ineffective all night.